What's new

Saw the new Sharp Aquos LCDs (1 Viewer)

Brandon Pop

Stunt Coordinator
Today at CC. They had them directly above the Sony Bravia2s and I have to say that I found them to be oversaturated red. Of course they may not have been calibrated which to me doesnt make sense in a showroom, but the Sonys looked much more natural looking. The Aquos were seemed a bit murkier in the blacks too but again, could have been the settings.

Has anyone else had a chance to see this set?

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I saw the 42" and thought it looked great. The review on cnet.com stated that the black levels on these LCD sets are superb. In fact, the only real flaw they found was the the colors seemed to be a little "too blue". I'm actually thinking about picking up this set (42" 1080p for $2,000) instead of a 42" 720p plasma. Haven't reached my final decision, however. That piano black look is also very attractive to me.

Luna5

Agent
Real Name
Bob Buettner
I looked at the new 46" and 52" Sharp at BB on Thursday, they were next to an XBR2 46" and the skin tones on both Sharps had a greenish cast to them. No other sets there had this cast to them, including the plasmas and DLPs. The Sony's colors seemed more lifelike and it's whites looked cleaner. The Sharps whites looked a little murky, a little gray even. The clarity on the Sony looked a little better also. Blacks looked great on all 3 sets to me and if I were currently looking for a set I would check to see what kind of adjustments the Sharps have for the user to correct the greenish cast. I didn't play with any of the controls but they did not seem to be in the "torch mode" that so many dealers like to use to impress the casual shopper. I don't think a standard hue control would correct for that without causing the reds to increase. Grass tones on the Sony looked more accurate also to my eye. That being said all 3 sets were very nice indeed and if I was looking for a 52" at the moment the Sharp would fit the bill. Sony's 52" should be a killer when it finally arrives but the price is going to be up there no doubt. I currently own a Sony 46" XBR2 and love it. If I were in the market today for a 46" I would still go with the Sony but if I was looking for larger the Sharp 52" would certainly be at the top of my list. Just an FYI to anyone in the Hartford CT area...the BB in WH is remodeling and adding a Magnolia area to the store which should be interesting once it's finished.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Apparently, there are reports from owners over at avsforum.com stating that banding issues occur with this tv after roughly one month of use. Don't know much more than that, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks