What's new

Saw 3 extras not on standard DVD? What is this BS? (1 Viewer)

David Allen

Stunt Coordinator

That's the most ridiculous thing I've read in a while on this forum. There will always be compression artifacts in any digital format, HD or not. It depends on the budget, the skill of the compressionist, the compression technology and what's going on in the film itself.

Also, I think it stands to reason that there's no reason to buy HD/BD software/players if you aren't watching them on some sort of progressive capable display- preferably 720p or greater. Don't worry, prices are dropping guys. If WalMart and Target are selling 16x9 HDMI displays, I'm sure that you'll be able to afford one in the next year or two, hopefully by the time the formats mature and work out most of the bugs.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Ridiculous? That it works and has benefits? Is backward compatible screen wise, and future proofed?

Ridiculous how xBox Live does work on dial-up and is usable?

No ones's forcing you to upgrade. But there are people who may want to, and I was pointing out all the aspects of it to demystify it for some.

FYI, a US HD-DVD played back on an Australian xBox 360, will output in PAL - how's that for convenience and curiosity?

One does not need a combo DVD playing side to see the same movie on a regular TV.

Highly versatile I must say...can BD do the same? Just curious.

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
This is the same thing that the studios do with Unrated vs. rated editions of DVDs. Why would you be shocked that they would carry it over to Blu-ray vs. DVD?

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor

Yes, my UK PAL Blu-ray of Exorcism of Emily Rose plays perfectly on my NTSC U.S. TV. There are no PAL/NTSC issues with hi-def discs.

Demis G

Second Unit
Real Name
Demetris G
I can see the dvd headlines in a year's time..

"BUY THE 2-Disc Director's cut of SAW 3 with never before extras for the first time on DVD!"

LOL

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Am I the only one who really doesn't care about featurettes and such? The film is most important. I really don't care to watch some EPK material, or the HBO Behind the Scenes clip.

Besides, if someone is going to pay $10 more for the Blu Ray or HD version, there BETTER be something extra on the disc. How else do they expect it to catch on?

David Allen

Stunt Coordinator

You're all over the place- none of your points relate to your last post that I responded to. Do I care about cross-converting U.S. DVDs through an XBOX from Oz ? No.... Backwards compatibility is great, all I'm saying is that it's pointless if you don't have the proper video display to take advantage of the new resolution. Probably is best to wait until next summer when there will be plenty of competition, some price drops and HDMI 1.3 will be in all (hopefully) devices. P.S. I'd be careful of making claims that any tech is "future proof".

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Mate,

If you don't like HD, so be it. It's a personal choice.
I'm merely pointing out the options from different apsects.
It's not pointless for OTHERS.

Future proofing is relative.

Esten

Supporting Actor
Wouldn't doing such a thing increase downconverting and pirating of such features?

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
I picked up "Saw 3" that Target had as a 2 disc exclusive edition. To my surprise the bonus disc that was included had the 2 extra featurettes that were only available on the Blu-Ray discs.

"AMANDA: Evolution of a Killer"
"The Writing of Saw 3"

Thanks for doing something right for a change Target!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Rolando has obviously never been a child with an over sized coat (or shoes) and had a parent say "Don't worry, you'll grow into it" :D

And as far as down-converting, I have never seen it done with HD discs, but I do know that down-converting HD signals (to SD) look better than any SD source I've ever seen. I can imagine that down-converting HD-DVD's must look better than SD-DVD's on a non-HD TV.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

I don't think we can assume this to be the case. The distinction is that an HD-DVD player must downconvert high-definition content to standard definition in real-time, as the video plays. This might preclude the use of the better downconversion algorithms, introducing artifacts that wouldn't affect a downconversion prepared ahead of time without that constraint.

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
My own personal opinion, but I think the transition from VHS to DVD was an easier move for most people than the transition from DVD to HD-DVD and BluRay (the format war isn't helping). People couldn't wait to get DVD. Now, a lot of people feel satisfied with standard DVD and feel they are being dragged kicking and screaming into the next version of DVD.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
As a DVD buyer, I don't feel 'picked on' yet.

90% of the time it's the HD people who are losing out on extras.

Although that's going to change with 50GB discs.

RyanAn

Screenwriter

I liken it to six or seven years ago with the VHS/DVD dilemma. We're going to have to get Blu-Ray/HD-DVD eventually if we want to continue having media to watch. DVD will be around for 10 years or so, but it's probably going to have the same stigma then as VHS has now. Boob-Tube TV's are getting phased out and eventually you'll have to buy a HD and then you just might as well get the new player. I'm still waiting for Blu-Ray and HD to drop a bit before I through down the investment - but for the time being, we non-evolvers need to readup on the new stuff and get accustomed to DVDs going out of style like the charm bracelet.

ry

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
'Waaaay back in the glory days of 1988, when the Japanese analog bandwidth-compressed HDTV system, MUSE, was first publicly demonstrated in the USA, the setup featured a broadcast NTSC monitor being fed via RGB from the "downconversion" output of the decoder. Mind you, this downconversion was done in the simplest possible way, in real time, from a relatively primitive experimental implementation of this analog system. The consensus was that the picture on the NTSC monitor was too good to provide a fair comparison between the two systems (although the HDTV picture still blew it away).

In other words, yes you can assume that. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks