What's new

Saving Private Ryan Reviews? (1 Viewer)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

I agree. They would probably start with the fact that anyone who doesn't have (or want) DTS can't get Dolby Digital 5.1 on the otherwise-excellent four-disc set. For them, they have to buy all of the components of the four-disc set separately. It's odd that more people aren't complaining about that.

jim_arrows

Auditioning

Because the DD version was available over a month before the DTS version, and at the time it wasn't widely known that a DTS version was even in the works. Being that SPR is my favorite film of all-time, I happily bought it on DVD the first day it was available (before I even owned a DVD player). Then the DTS version appeared out of the blue, and I didn't feel that the DTS soundtrack alone justified the double-dip. Therefore, it would have been nice to not have to buy the $35 version to get DTS on this go 'round, although it doesn't personally affect me since I'd have gone for the more expensive version anyway. Just pointing out that there are other scenarios that you didn't consider in your post, and also that even though I'd go for the $35 version anyway I still think it's BS that you're forced to in order to get DTS.

Regards,
Jim

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

It has a Dolby Surround 2.0 track on there. All DVD's with a DTS track have to have a Dolby Digital track as "backup" so anyone can play it, even if they don't own a DTS decoder and mistakenly buy a DTS release. In any case, I'm keeping my old "SPR" for the extras and I'll have the Dolby Digital 5.1 on that disc as well. I'm only equipped for stereo anyway so the 2.0 track on the new release is good enough for me, at least for now.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry, I didn't feel like scrolling through 4 pages of the usual exaggerated melodramatic bickering and squabbling that takes place here over the most trivial matters, so can someone please be kind and give me the run-down on the whole audio situation...

Has it been 100% confirmed that the DTS track is EXCLUSIVE to the 4-disc set... and if so, what other available audio soundtracks are featured on the 4-discer... I would logically assume that the DTS would be accompanied by an English Dolby 5.1 / 2.0?

What about the 2-disc Set?

I would normally just look the info up at a the usual e-tailers but there seems to be some sort of discrepancy between the information listed online through the various outlets and the specs which Universal has advertised..

* Please confirm:

4-Disc Box Set - Available Audio Tracks?

2-Disc Edition - Available Audio Tracks?

Thanks you!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Is this true? According to several web sites, they came out on the same day.

Ok, ok, Paul, sorry for the rant, but let me bring another perspective...

Saving Private Ryan (D-Day 60th Anniversary Commemorative Edition) (the DD 5.1 version) from Amazon: $18.89
Price for Peace from Amazon: $16.99
Shooting War from Amazon: $16.99

Total cost for all 3: $52.87

---------

and then:
World War II Collection (Price For Peace/Shooting War/Saving Private Ryan, D-Day Edition) (with the DTS track) from Amazon: $34.99

So what they did was, they are giving the DTS lovers a break by giving them all 3 films in a collectors box for a savings of $17.88.

Ok, so you're stuck buying all 3 films if you want the DTS version, but taking perspective, if it weren't for the 2 disc set, people wouldn't be thinking of this as "being stuck buying all 3" because there'd be nothing to compare it to.

This is the way I am seeing this release. The 2 disc set seems more of an after thought to put a 'cheaper' version out there for the non-enthusiasts. I just don't see it your way as the studio creating a DD5.1 and a DTS 2 discs set and then greedily adding 2 titles to the DTS set to make the price higher. I seriously give the studios the benefit of the doubt and believe the 2 disc set was the after thought.

I know I get angry sometimes, but I'm really trying to get you guys to be less angry with the DVD price structure. It makes DVD's easier to purchase when you're not angry at them. It shouldn't always be about the money. Watching the films should be worth the price you pay (and then some).

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Marco, re your post #106: of course some nice HTFer will chime in with a succinct answer to your audio questions, but I felt compelled to say that I find it a little, um, offensive to come in to a thread with a question, admit that you refuse to read the thread and expect a response to a query after kinda insulting all/many of the thread's participants with accusations of "exaggerated melodramatic bickering and squabbling that takes place here over the most trivial matters" . . . even if the criticism is justified. :)

Especially if you want something, "if you can't say anything nice . . ."

Or, to put it another way, I'll quote Col. Nathan Jessup: "You have to ask me nicely."

-p

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Mark,

Original cost of Saving Private Ryan Limited edition in Canadian dollars: $30 bucks.

Care factor for Price for Peace and Shooting War documentary: Zero.

Copies of SPR I own with DTS: Zero.

Spielberg’s look when he hears about people like me getting screwed by another one of his ridiculous SE: Priceless.

For everything else, there's Master Card. ;)

Mark, I'm gonna repeat myself one more time and then slame my hand repeatdly in a door. I don't want those two documentaries; I could care less about them. In all honesty I don't think Saving Private Ryan is good enough to warrant a second purchase - however I love my home theater and I love a good soundtrack - and for my money (which seems to be too little) you can't beat those opening 20 minutes. Never will I shell out an addition 45 Canadian on two documentaries I don't need - only for a DTS track.

The point is, DTS should not be an extravagant feature anymore. Especially coming from DreamWorks which spearheaded the original dual DD/DTS movies with American Beauty and Gladiator. When my new copy of SPR comes in, it's going straight back to Amazon for a full refund. I will not let Spielberg have my money, because it’s obvious he doesn’t deserve it again.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Wait, you own the DTS version? So why are you concerned about the 4 disc set? :confused: Why not get the 2 disc? Who cares that the audio is DD 5.1? If it was DTS, then you'd own 2 of the same versions.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
And what about the fact that this is a reissue? How are you getting 'screwed' on something that you're able to repurchase after the original DVD was "Limited"?

You see it as being screwed, but I see it as a glorious opportunity to buy this title again, because if it weren't for this re-release, you'd have no options at all to buy this new.

Some see the bitching as a way of letting the director know that they aren't happy with the product, but I fear that the bitching could back fire and make directors rethink ever reissuing DVD's again, due to the complaints they may get.

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Why didn't Dreamworks just NOT re release the film? What was wrong with the previous two editions we already got? I have the DTS version and the laserdisc, and I'm more than happy for the time being. These studios are getting out of control with all these re releases. I say don't buy into this stuff and just keep what you have already!

AJG

(and yes, some of this bickering is just sooo pointless)
:D

ScottHH

Stunt Coordinator
With Amazon sales ranks of 36 and 62 for the regular and DTS versions, respectively, it doesn't appear as if they are selling too many of these. Perhaps that’s because almost everyone already has a copy of the old version, and the new extras aren’t that enticing.

This was one of the first movies I purchased, and I had no idea that I would have preferred the DTS version, so I bought the regular. I knew that eventually this would be my first double-dip.

If you don’t want the extras, why not search for the old version? I found a new copy of the old DTS at dvd empire for $15.79 (they are now out of stock). Look around, or buy a used copy.

Amazon says the new 4-disc set has DTS-ES, whereas the old version is regular DTS. I have yet to hear the old DTS, but my understanding is that it is a significantly different mix versus the old Dolby track. Has anyone compared the two DTS soundtracks?
a used copy.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

Paul,

I didn't refuse to read the thread, I obviously browsed through... but had no intentions of sifting through everyone's 500 word essays on what a jerk Steven Spielberg is for not doing this and refusing to release that and Jaws didnt have a documentary and Star Wars isnt the orgiginal and this costs too much and this isnt available in this format, etc.

No offense intended, I was just hoping to get a concise answer on the audio question at hand without digging through all that.

What tracks are available on each release: 4-disc / 2-disc / Canadian ed., and are these determined?

Robert Spalding

Second Unit
I bought the new dvd and already have the old one:

the only difference I can see is that the new version has a spanish subtitle track. The menu says "DTS 5.1" under audio options.

the new DTS track is 941Mb and the old DTS track is also 941 MB. the video track is the exact size too.

there is only a 2.0 Dolby Digital track in addition to the DTS one.

David Brashear

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not really interested in the soundtrack, just the extras. Can anyone with both releases comment on the special features, specifically, are the new documentaries an improvement over the HBO special on the first release?

Jeff>K>B

Stunt Coordinator
Robert, just to be clear, the "new DVD" you're referring to is the 4-disc "World War II Collection" and not the 2-disc SPR, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks