Save Star Wars!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by johnSM, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

Oh it might very well sell more than that. That was just a number that I threw out. The point is as an exclusive limited edition product, it might generate more interest and revenue, and might be more appealing to Lucasfilm as a marketable product. Not unlike the Disney movie club or the Warner Archive. However another point is this. I think one of the reasons that Star Wars is as popular today as new movies just coming out, as popular as Avatar for example, is exactly because it is an ever evolving product. People know that every time they buy it, they are going to see something new. And it stays relevant to a new audience. I'm not saying that the classic versions of the films shouldn't be available too, but a more exclusive, boutique style marketing might work better for them. Doug

2. AlexCosmo

AlexCosmo Stunt Coordinator

meant "first week's worth".

3. SilverWook

SilverWook Cinematographer

Bill
    Making money off of fan edits is frowned upon, and actively discouraged in the fan edit community. People have been banned from the original trilogy website for doing it, and trying to cover up their tracks. And how do you know some of those people aren't in the industry? George ought to be hiring them! ;)

4. SilverWook

Bill
    Lucasfilm isn't exactly trumpeting all the changes to it's customers, either. You don't see tv ads proclaiming "new digital Yoda!" in Phantom Menace or anything like that. Joe Average casual fan/customer has no idea what's been going on. I find it more and more puzzling they never update the closing credits with each new wave of changes. The SE's still have the 1997 credits and copyrights. Clive Revill has been MIA since 2004, but he's still listed as playing the Emperor. And Phantom Menace still has 1999 credits for assistant Yoda performers whose work is no longer in the movie. And you'd think the guys who had the difficult task of pasting the new Yoda in there would like some onscreen credit?

5. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

I don't think that Joe Average probably cares all that much. They maybe contractually obligated to include those credits on the film regardless of the work that was done is no longer in the film or not. Doug

6. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Seems rather contradictory--They "look forward to changes" AND "don't care that much"...

7. SilverWook

Bill
    You're probably right, since the SE credits have everyone who worked on the films originally. (IIRC, James Earl Jones finally got an onscreen credit as well?) The credits for everyone who did the new shots and film restoration came at the end. A credit roll ought to be an easy thing to update with each new version though. Anybody call that toll free THX number lately? ;)