What's new

Saturday Night Live: Season 38 (NBC) (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Hader was fucking gold in the puppet-sketch. Now that Wiig is gone, I do hope he steps up to become the bona fide true star of the show that he deserved to be back way when his former co-star was sucking up all the oxygen (and screentime) in the room.
Liked the new girl's "Update" bit; excellent timing. Not a fan of Pharaoh's Obama, but he's got time to refine it.
Also, liked the Frank Ocean performances, but I felt like John Mayer kept trying to steal the spotlight by eye-fucking the camera. That said, I don't know if I "got" the whole video-game setup, there.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The puppet sketch was very funny. I also liked the gangam style sketch, though it made no sense (which is why I liked it). But the puppet sketch was the one that was classic.

xfile94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jennifer Colbert
I'm afraid last weeks show will probably be,the highlight for the season. SNL just isn't very good anymore to me, anyway. I just wish it would go off-- it wouldn't be a loss. Daniel Craig? Please.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I don't know why, but the SNL topic gets a threadshit almost every week. And not just here, but all of the boards I read. On some of the boards, there's half the posts in the SNL thread are threadshitting. It's actually impossible to discuss SNL online anymore without someone chiming in to tell you it used to be better back in the day and they should cancel it.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
so...don't post in a thread unless you're all goggle eyed in adoration about the topic? Just a thought - but if you like it that's awesome. If someone coming along saying they don't and why they don't is going to get your knickers in a twist...perhaps you should just ignore that which you don't agree with rather than make someone feel a pariah for expressing their opinion.

just a thought....

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I tend to agree with the above; look, I have no problem saying positive or negative things in a thread. SNL is going to be one of those shows that goes up and down. It's too early to say "this is the high point of the season" in Episode 1 ;) That having been said, I will admit to me the puppet sketch is one of the funniest things I've seen them do in a while.

And, frankly, as long as the French Dancing Sketch doesn't ever return, then it's improving.

Michael Henry

Second Unit
Real Name
J. Michael Henry
Say what you want I don't care...
Just seems like a waste of an hour and a half of viewing...then an additional 2-5 minutes to post something negative in a thread where, if you ask me, your time could be used more wisley if you just deleted the season pass from you DVR and moved along.
Not to mention that every 10th post in an SNL thread is "This show needs to be cancelled, it was better in the old days"....
We get it already.
If I don't like a show / get tired of a show, I simply don't watch it anymore.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
xfile94 said:
I'm afraid last weeks show will probably be,the highlight for the season. SNL just isn't very good anymore to me, anyway. I just wish it would go off-- it wouldn't be a loss.
The statement that has been repeated every year since Season 3. I remember in the '80s with Billy Crystal et. al. everyone was saying the same thing. Then a few years later after much of the main '80s cast had left, everyone was wistfully remembering how good SNL was with Crystal and crew and how much the new crew sucked.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The truth about SNL since as long as I can remember:

Save for two really bad seasons in the 80s, it has ALWAYS been a show where about once an hour, something truly funny will happen, the weekend update has remained the strongest portion, and that continues.
It's also a show that has a lot of complete failures every hour in sketches that don't work.

You'll either bemoan the crap or love the good.

But it's very rarely a huge amount of only one or the other. And sometimes the horrible is the stuff you talk about (see: Kei$ha)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
mattCR said:
The puppet sketch was very funny.  I also liked the gangam style sketch, though it made no sense (which is why I liked it).   But the puppet sketch was the one that was classic.
Well, gangnam style doesn't make sense anyway, which I suppose is precisely why the sketch worked so well

xfile94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jennifer Colbert
Well, I don't usually remark about a show unless I'm really affected by it. I didn't really see the '80's, was generally amused by the '90's, and I just think they've run out of ideas for classic characters on the show. I wish I could see someting entertaining every week, but those days seem to be over. :(

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Did anyone else have issues with the audio on last nights episode? The main vocals were so low in volume I could not hear them. The Audience and Sound effects (doorbell) were normal, but it was as if the actors mics were not working.
I am not sure if this is the way it aired, or if the local channel (CW here is salt lake) is having problems.
I keep having issues with SNL audio and it is getting old. I can't imaging NBC is actually airing it with all this issues. Or is it because it is "live". My first guess is it has something to do witht he local channel here in salt lake that is having the problems but it really doesnt make sense that they could cause some audio channels to be lower than others. I would think they are just re-broadcasting the audio as it was recieved.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Scott-S said:
Did anyone else have issues with the audio on last nights episode? The main vocals were so low in volume I could not hear them. The Audience and Sound effects (doorbell) were normal, but it was as if the actors mics were not working.
I am not sure if this is the way it aired, or if the local channel (CW here is salt lake) is having problems.
I keep having issues with SNL audio and it is getting old. I can't imaging NBC is actually airing it with all this issues. Or is it because it is "live". My first guess is it has something to do witht he local channel here in salt lake that is having the problems but it really doesnt make sense that they could cause some audio channels to be lower than others. I would think they are just re-broadcasting the audio as it was recieved.
I had no audio issues last night.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Originally Posted by Scott-S /t/323774/saturday-night-live-season-38-nbc#post_3985403
I am not sure if this is the way it aired, or if the local channel (CW here is salt lakeSNl was fim
I keep having issues with SNL audio and it is getting old. I can't imaging NBC is actually airing it with all this issues. Or is it because it is "live". My first guess is it has something to do witht he local channel here in salt lake that is having the problems but it really doesnt make sense that they could cause some audio channels to be lower than others. I would think they are just re-broadcasting the audio as it was recieve
I have never had a problem with SNL, but I have issues with FOX 90% of the time. It is probably the local, can't tell for sure, but it happens whether I'm using my Uverse or OTA. Mainly it is music drowning out the vocals on shows like Idol (which I don't watch anymore), but I also get it on Sports where background drowns out announcers. I have tried complaining to deaf ears. In these cases I just turn the master down and then turn up my center. It goes back to my original settings on power off.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I didn't notice any audio issues last night. The episode was OK -- I especially liked the Bond Girls fake ad.
Anyone else notice a few extra jokes in the closed captions that were cut from the broadcast script? There was something about Munich in the opening monologue In Memoriam bit (which was also great) and a mention of Kathy Bates in the Bond Girls ad. They both went by too quickly for me to register the gags, though.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Scott, you seem to have lots of audio issues that others aren't having, and I'd have to point the finger at your local affiliates.

Shockingly, the funniest skit was the first one. How many times has that ever happened? Once? Twice?

The lady who repainted Ecce Homo on Weekend Update was the highlight of the night for me.

I actually watched both Muse performances. How many times has that ever happened? Once? Twice? Okay, maybe that's happened a dozen times. But it's still rare. The first song could not have sounded more like U2 unless it was Coldplay. That's probably why I didn't skip ahead.

And since it hasn't been said, Cecily Strong is pretty hot.

xfile94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jennifer Colbert
Last night, The Californians cracked me up on SNL. That's the third time I've seen that, and I always laugh at it. Isn't the way they talk very exagerated?? I think it's hilarious!:P:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks