What's new

Saturday Night Live - Season 33 (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Although Walken was clearly staying glued to the teleprompter he is still funny as hell. In cases where it worked for the sketch like the googly-eye plant thing, he is flawless. He is 65 now, perhaps his eyesight isn't what he used to be and he's afraid if he looks away he'll get lost when he looks back. He used to do it alot less.

trivia: my dad was in a play with his older brother, Chris' name back then was "Ronnie"
and my dad sorta babysat him one day.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

That's actually a fair and plausible reason. I personally cut him some slack for another otherwise great episode.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> No and that is too bad since it is perhaps one of the funniest things ever done on SNL.

Yeah, I assumed it would be on this episode.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
They probably can no longer do the Continental skits because Walken can't look into the camera. He has to look off stage at cue cards. THe skit wouldn't work without him looking into the camera.

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Love Walken but he's getting worse about no eye contact with his scene mates. Rewrites happen up til the last minute, but that doesn't generally mean every line is brand new. It's no excuse for literally standing there and reading and not even looking at Jason Sudeikis during a scene where he's supposed to be essentially stalking him.

Thought the plant guy was funny, tho and the Walken family reunion was great. Says a lot for someone to have fun with that kind of self deprication.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Walken will always get a pass from me due in large part to Colonel Angus, and in film as an Army officer explaining the importance of the watch in Pulp Fiction.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

I think it was out of respect for the original Continental writer. They brought him back whenever Walken hosted to write that sketch, but due to budget restraints, SNL has almost completely cut down on bringing back veterans and freelance contributors.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Yeah, Walken's reliance on the cue cards was grating, and especially during the "goodbye party/stalker" sketch, but I'm always willing to cut him a lot of slack because he makes up for it with his unusual delivery.

I thought the "Walken Family Reunion" sketch was a bit overdone and just used as an excuse for the cast to show off their "Walken Mimicry Skills" (no one does it better than Kevin Spacey and Jay Mohr, as past seasons have shown, IMHO). However, the "reunion" sketch made me come to the realization that Walken has quite a Noo Yawk accent underneath that oddball delivery.

I can't believe no one's mentioned his "questions from the audience" monologue, which set the tone for the whole evening. I was ROLLING...

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I liked his monologue, but would have preferred a musical number like he usually does.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I really enjoyed Ashton's last apperance - most notably with Demi during the monolouge and the new preacher skit.

I'm guessing there will be a Target lady sketch.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I actually enjoyed tonight's musical guest, Gnarls Barkley.

The paralyzed stripper skit was LOL funny.

The "Death by Chocolate" bits were also pretty good.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Kristin Wiig's nervous fast talking during "Weekend Update" was nothing short of phenomenal. She has a real talent for "nervous" characters. Following that up with Fred Armisen's "comedian" who "comments on current newspaper articles with his own 'unique skew'" was a brilliant stroke.

The "Cougars" sketch affected me in ways I am not ready to deal with. I haven't been that turned on by Cameron Diaz since "The Mask" (which was pretty much the ONLY other time she did it for me).

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I did catch an error -- she says, "It's par for the course. I don't know what that means. Just kidding, it's from golf. Just kidding, it's from tennis."

The sports should be transposed to make sense. I re-watched the bit four or five times before I noticed it. I agree that it was a remarkable feat to pull off live, and yes, I'm just being nit-picky.

I wondered if the Cougars sketch was written for Demi but she didn't want to do it. It makes more sense that way.

The first Death by Chocolate stabbing was disturbingly realistic.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The first half of the show really seemed to have an "older woman" theme, starting with the Cougar Den (which creeped me out while it made me laugh) and continuing with Activia.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Just caught up on the past couple weeks of SNL..

They're using Wiig more and more, and it's a good thing. She's terrific. I also liked her in the surprise party sketch last week w/ Walken.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks