Saturday Night Live - Season 32

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by RyanAn, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Phil_L

Phil_L Second Unit

Yeah, I was wondering why they had two musical guests.

The monster sketch was hysterical.

2. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

Man, this is a first. I completely forget that SNL was on last night. Anyone know when the repeat will be on? I'll just be watching the NBC online videos until then. [​IMG]

http://video.nbc.com/player.html?dlid=49748

ry

3. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    Oddly, I thought Mad's was a bit belabored (cast memebers recreating the movie and cutting back to Mel Gibson at a press conference) while the SNL version zipped along (which is opposite of what I'd expect). However, the MadTV one had fresher take than banging on the same old "Mel Gibson hates Jews" drum. I'd call the whole thing a draw except... "I smell bagels" just killed me. My wife and I laughed about that for waaaay too long.

Some of the Weekend Update material was strong. Some of the Good Morning I Hate This Town was funny, but the show was mostly mediocre.

4. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Maybe Gwen didn't do song #2 because someone advised her that if she still wanted to have a career left she should nip it in the bud.
    I like Gwen, LOVED No Doubt, enjoyed much of her first solo record but that "wind him up" or whatever first song was the biggest trainwreck of a performance in recent memory. wtf?!?!?
    Maybe the album version sounds decent, I don't know but IMHO it sounded wretched. She sounded screechy and bad, the mix was all vocals and what little minimalist "music" was there was buried. Kate Bush could pull off totally quirky stuff like that. Gwen, three words. No Doubt reunion!

[​IMG]

I'm sorry, I'm a cranky ass but I really miss the Old Gwen. She went from really cute ska/new wave girl who actually used to SING to rapper/gangsta wannabe to now doing a bad imitation of Michelle Pfeiffer's character from Scarface while these wig wearing Harajuku girls go nuts onstage like Pokemon.

grrr.......

[​IMG]

5. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

oh yeah, and Wiig as one of the a-holes is to me, so smoking hot it's ridiculous.

[​IMG]

6. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    you know i thought it was a recording that she just lip synched most of.
    it sounded just too perfect.

she did the same song on Dave last night and that seemed live.

the sound was completely different.
    her voice was off just a little and the timing was slightly off.

7. nickGreenwood

nickGreenwood Second Unit

Dave, you're right "Wind It Up" is horrible. I'm not a huge fan of her solo stuff, but it "Wind It Up" makes "Hollaback Girl" seem like something Dylan would've written. I ended up fast forwarding through her performance that night. I'm with you, No Doubt reunion!

I liked the episode, thought that Annette was a bit of an odd choice for a host, does she have anything coming out? Couldn't they have just had Alec host again? [​IMG]

I don't know what it is, but Seth's delivery of any of his lines during Weekend Update kill me, its great, the joke could be bad, but I like the way he does it. The "Gay/Anti-Gay Marriage" song was great, especially liked when Forte claimed that someone had messed with his pictures.

Looking forward to the Justin Timberlake episode, I do like the guy, he's funny and quite talented, the clips during The Office and Scrubs last night were funny with Amy.

The Two A-Hole's in a Christmas Pageant was awesome.
    "IT'S BEEN GREAT WORKING WITH YOU GUYS!"

and yes Wiig = hot.

8. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

Dave, I couldn't agree more with both of your posts. [​IMG]

9. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I had problems with the HD feed all night long. There was sound, but no picture for the first 15 minutes. Then, every time it came back from commercial, there was sound but no picture for a few seconds. Was this a national problem, or was it just my affiliate?

10. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    I was at the dress rehearsal and when I got home I watched some of the live show. I was disappointed that some of the lesser bits made it to air (Nancy Grace, Lou Dobbs). Also, it was too bad that they didn't go to the skating rink this year - I guess it wasn't practical since the host was also the musical guest.

11. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

The digital short was great but it would've been better if they trimmed it a little at the end. They should've ended it after listing all the holidays or cutting out the holidays.

12. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I've seen everything up to the game show so far, and it's been good.

~T

13. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

Wind it up has become, at least in my world, the anti-Narnia rap, in other words, I watch it as much as possible because I can't take my eyes off the carnage. Narnia-rap was tear inducing. Wind it up is cringe inducing !

I cant stop watching that bizarre garbage !

Man that was so bad.

14. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I'm just surprised that week after week, if you flick between SNL & Mad, how they often have the same base ideas.. hell, down to both of them going after Barry Gibb this week (talk about weird). The thing is, SNL outside of a few choice moments have some that seem as though they are the sketches that make Studio 60 viewers say "jeez, Sorkin, get off your high horse" The Nancy Grace sketch was BEYOND terrible. It was literally painful to watch. It's hard to make fun of a fake rape charge, I kept waiting for the thing to mention Tiwanna Brawley. Jeez.

There were a few moments last night that were funny; but then again, when I flicked over to MADTv and caught the Al Gore Vs. Frosty The Snowman animation, I thought that was the kind of political satire that SNL just wishes they had right now...

15. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    The Nancy Grace bit was a nice concept, but it went on WAAAAY too long.

16. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

Yeah, I'm getting a little bored with the constant Nancy Grace skits. But wow, fantastic show. Timberlake is a fantastic host.

17. nickGreenwood

nickGreenwood Second Unit

I like Timberlake, he's grown from a Boy Band leader to an actual musician, even is his piano playing looked like he's still learning. He can sing well (he didn't pre-record his track or lipsync) and can dance well (which it was good that he didn't over dance last night). On top of that he is a great host. He's not afraid to make a fool of himself. Lesser hosts would not have dressed up like a "Cup O' Soup". I've become a fan of his and more so thanks to the episode. (I still don't like a lot of the 'N Sync stuff he did.)

Kristen Wiig is awesome, week after week she steals the show. The opening was killer "Santa's My Boyfriend", I think she's a better singer than Maya also. And she sure is easy on the eyes.

I really like Bill Hader, and I'm glad they're using him a bit more, I could honestly do without Kennan Thompson, he seems to have become the next Horatio Sans to me. Meaning he's a somewhat funny sketch every once in a great while. I haven't laughed at anything he's done until the "Hip Hop Kids" where he didn't speak and just scratched his answers. The "Deep House Dish" skits are filler at best.

The Digital Short was funny, C*** in a Box. Timberlake and Samberg pulled off the 80's cheesy duo well.

18. Jeff*S*C*

Jeff*S*C* Second Unit

Best episode in a long time. A few duds but mostly entertaining. "D*** In A Box" was crazy funny and NBC.com already has an uncensored version up on the site to watch. I smell an iTunes hit.

19. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Hmm...another case where bleeping is funnier than not. Plus I think "cock in box," which is what I figured they were beeping out, has more of a ring to it. Which begs the question, which do censors consider more bleep-worthy?

20. Michael:M

Michael:M Supporting Actor

I'm almost done reading "Live from New York" and one thing that is clear from reading is that the powers that be want recurring characters. I forget who in the book makes this observation, but they said that in the first five years of the show, there were only like 5 or 7 Coneheads sketches, whereas in latter years you'd have 3 more of Cheerleader sketches in a season. The producers and NBC suits like the recurring characters because they think the audience wants known quanitities, and they feel "safer" than experimental sketches.

I highly recommend this book - I borrowed it from the library - as it's incredibly revealing as to how the show is run and what impacts what makes it on the air. Almost every living cast member, excepting Eddie Murphy, was interviewed, though Mike Meyers appears only one time. The original cast is especially open about the show, and it's fascinating.