What's new

Saturday Night Live - 31st Season (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Best episode of SNL in a several years from my memory. The first half hour I was just rolling.

Update was really well done -- Amy you ignorant slut. Gore is just too funny.

What more can be said about Paul Simon, he's just the best.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
A bullseye. This episode with a morning show parody and 70's game show parody was really funny in my opinion. Nothing very topical about any of it but somehow making fun of Rich Little, totally unfair and ridiculous as it was, struck me as funny. This was easily my favorite episode of the year. Al Gore was in great form, I wonder if he is thinking about a political comeback?

Chris

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Wow! Great episode! It seemed like they had totally different writers.

Great opener! I was shocked at how good it was and didn't think the rest of the show would be able to live up to it.

Really loved the morning show and Myspace class sketches. Really appreciated all the small things in them.

I didn't care much for the digital short and Unsolved Mysteries (Wiigg was good).

~T

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Holy Underwear. That was actually a decent episode ! Most if not all the sketches were funny. I loved the Charades and when Dracula walked out during the Aliens sketch, I lost it.

Fred Armisen gets my vote as funniest cast member. The others are all funny at times too, but he kills me.

IMHO, I think Elaine was the catalyst, she is a funny person period. let there be no doubt about it.

Somehow she got in this is weirdo timewarp where she was on SNL so long ago, and never seemed to have aged much, and now it is impossible for me to wrap my head around the fact that she was a regular cast member over 20 years ago ?!? What, did she start when she was 18 ?

I remember watching SNL back then (and hating it, sorry but those were some dark years...back when everyone tuned it just to see what Eddie Murphy would do).

Anyway, again, IMHO, the key was no repeat performances like RICK!RICK!RICK!

Now...lets' see some consistency.

Julio Diaz

Stunt Coordinator

Kristin Gore was listed in the credits for "additional material." She's Al's daughter, a former staff writer on SNL and Futurama, and the author of a very funny semi-political novel called "Sammy's Hill." She's VERY funny, and I'd lay odds that she wrote her dad's material. So in a sense, you're right, but the non-Al sketches are probably from the regular crew. Just a good week all 'round.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I agree with everyone else - a standout episode in a weak year. My favorite was the MySpace skit - just the sight of all the male regulars with standalone 'staches had me on the floor.

JLD was great, and she looks like she hasn't aged a day in 20 years. HD can be unforgiving, but it just made her look better. 48, you say?? Unbelieveable.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Wow. Let's just say that Paul Simon is one of the great American songwriters of the past 40 years, and if you have any interest at all in intelligent pop music with staying power you need to start checking out his catalog post haste. The songs he sang last night were from his brand new album (out just last Tuesday) called "Surprise".

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I also agree with the sentiments here about this being a good show. The MySpace class was definitely the best. :laugh:I agree with that. The grandpa bit was funny. :)

and on the opposite end, I can't stand Andy Sandburg - he's like the new Jimmy Fallon.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
The thing I was thinking about was that there are no "standout" (or "breakout") performers. We have no Eddies, no Mikes, no Wills, No Johns. It's just a cast of strong performers who work well.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Darrell Hammond is the current genius of the cast, but he doesn't do as many sketches as he used to. Armisen is good too, and Chris Parnell has always been underrated (especially when he raps).

Guys, let's go easy on the whippersnappers re: listening to Paul Simon. He hasn't had a major pop hit for a long time now. We ARE getting that old!

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

You would have guessed JLD is 55? Man, I am only 54 and I don't look that good. Do yourself a favor and never guess a woman's age when you are within striking distance.

Chris

RyanAn

Screenwriter

I believe it. ha ha.

I only wish Kramer would have made a cameo.

-

I know of Paul Simon, but he's never really been someone I'd seek out to watch or listen to. Nothing against him, but we all have our own preferences. I'll probably listen to more of his work when I can.

Ryan

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I liked the Usual Suspects and Falconer sketches, and a little of the Neil Young one, but everything else was just bad.

~T

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
It's interesting how inconsistent the quality can be. Last week's was so good and then this week was just so average. In fact, last night's was pretty typical of the whole season. Last week really seemed like a different show.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Up until the Usual Suspect sketch (which I thought was sucking at first), I didn't laugh once and it seemed like it was going to be as bad as the Tom Hanks episode. I wanted to stop watching when you know who showed up.

I must say that Kristen Wiig looks hot in that asshole sketch.

~T

Alex-C

Screenwriter
gawd save us. how many friggin times do we have to endure mediocre-at-best character replays like the falconer, debbie downer, RICK!, Carol, etc. etc.
these people, the writers and actors must be capable of more ingenuity than regurgitating the same old played out characters.
the Mclaughlin Group (spearheaded by Dana Carvey) and transmorphed into the Sinatra Group was highly entertaining, and yet they only mined that for 1/10th the amount they are trying to squeeze out of said sketches/characters.

This may be obvious to everyone, but SNL has become the place where actors come to play a second fiddle or witness to the usual dreck.
They could have Marlon Brando and Jack Nicholson and they'd still be bit parts in a RICK! sketch.

last week was an aberration.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks