What's new

Saturday Night Live - 31st Season (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised there aren't more posts about the TV Funhouse segment? :D

The Song of the South section was great! Yeah, I thought they were going somewhere else (funnier) with it, but it just kind of was what it started out as. - Meh

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i'll watch it later on.
only saw that lohan was on by accident.

lilo?

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Repent Bitches Repent! was funny. I liked Laser Cats too. Debbie Downer was only funny the first time because they couldn't stop laughing.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
that tv funhouse was one of the best.
the kids to m. mouse, "you're supposed to be funny?"

the hidden frame jokes from some of the disney movies.

jim henson is still alive.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I didn't see much of it, but I certainly don't remember a single funny anything in the first 20-30 minutes I did see. After "RICK" and the "MOM" screamers, I just punted the rest. I think my wife enjoyed the opening Frick/Bush stuff, but she'll laugh at anything the skewers Dub.

Why is screaming something at the top of your lungs repeatedly supposed to be even remotely funny.

The musical guests were even more irritating than normal though I'm way beyond the age where I'm supposed to care about that. Actually turning the sound off and watching the topless, artistified, Bass player was likely funnier than most of the rest of the show.

Curmudgeonly,

Cal S

Stunt Coordinator

David, you must be waaaay beyond the age to care because the Chili Peppers have been around for 20 years! :) (smilie indicating my light hearted tone)

I agree it was a sub-par episode. A few things made me laugh but I fast forwarded through a lot because skits were just dragging.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah, I am about that old and I joke about it too. I do remember the RHCPs from at least the early 90s and I was too old then too. I do remember The Police and saw the Eagle pre-Hotel California. Hell, I saw Elvis live in concert and was old enough to drive to the Colisseum.

I do remember seeing first run Star Trek, B&W Gilligans Island and I Dream of Jeanie.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
When you have someone as versatile as Tom Hanks on SNL (Sabra Price is Right anyone ?) and you throw him to the curb in the RICK! sketch as the 3rd sketch, it's time to throw out the writers or decision makers. That was so lame. That sketch is soooo played. I agree with the rest of the comments too. Tom Hanks can be very funny; why the heck can't they figure out how to utilize their guests ?
Although, I will admit the digital short (Dont cut my testicles) keep me chuckling.
Why cant the people that put together the digital shorts together, apply their talents to the rest of the show ?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I thought the testicle sketch was the weakest Digital Short yet, and it was sandwiched between perhaps two of the worst skits of the season -- the RickRickRick sketch (which I usually just fast forward through) and the Hey MA! sketch, which was excruciating (my wife heard it muffled from the other room and said it was one of the most annoying things she's ever heard regardless). I laughed at the end of the Wheel of Fortune sketch, but it was pretty lame episode over all. Weekend update was easily the highlight, and that's a backhanded compliment.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I have this last episode on my TiVo since I have been away, but I am going to just delete it without even bothering to try to watch it. The show has always been hit or miss and now it is miss with a rare hit. I have continued to watch it over all of these decades and I do think Darrell Hammond is one of the best performers ever on the show but without a good sketch, even he can't save it.

Chris

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi

From what I know, the host picks the sketches they want to appear in. So, either Tom Hanks picked bad sketches ... or he picked the best ones ....

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I quit watching SNL back when . . .

Sorry, but we hadn't had a good SNL threadcrap in a while. Couldn't resist. :)

Yeah, it wasn't the best episode. Although I enjoyed, "What's your name, Sudekis? Taking on our lord and Steven Spielberg in the same sketch? Ya, you'll be back in September".

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Al Gore opening sketch was hilarious, although the end bits did not seem to be appreciated, but he got the audience's love back with the Six Flags over Tehran

Loved the Seinfield Curse opening monolouge

The hobo bit reminded me a lot of the Will Ferrel sketch, "milk, milk, lemonade, 'round the corner, fudge is made."

"The Morning Show" was hilarious. "GOOD MORNING STAN!" I laughed outloud at when Horatio tripped, that was a sticky situation.

"Yeah, Chad Michael Murray." or I loved when Will Forte was "deleting" his screenname in the Myspace and You sketch. Awesome!

Paul Simon has a really good sound. I've not heard a lot of him before this, but it was good and I'll be sure to check out more of him.

Weekend Update Highlights:

"Good, because we only bought seven of them." in regards of the suits.
"Everything is great. Drive. Big. Car. Alot."
"Give the gift that says, Mom, I'm tired of looking at you!"

I love old game shows, and they're are plenty of great impressions in the Charades skit.

"and the guy who was in other game shows, Nipsey Russell!"

"ummm, ummm? An Oriental Massage!
- A Japanese Massage!
Oh, I got it! A Very EXPENSIVE MASSAGE!"

"You are me, Charro!"

Aliens...

"There were aliens! I was so fright-end!"
"We are aliens, we have come for you Sandy Patterson!"
"Dracula?"
The Gremlins thing was pretty funny, I just don't think this skit was the best of the night.

Another good performance

I kind of predicted the outcome of the SNL Digital Short as far as knowing that it was going to be a short distance, but loved how short it actually was. "Peyote!"

All and all, it was a pretty solid episode, my favorite sketches being:

The Morning Show and Myspace and You.

Ryan

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The Morning Show was great, especially for anyone who's worked at a local TV station. Dreyfus did a great job as did Wiig, who always seems really natural in the sketches she's in.

And Dreyfus looked really nice in HD. :)

RickGr

Second Unit
"Paul Simon has a really good sound. I've not heard a lot of him before this, but it was good and I'll be sure to check out more of him."

Is this a serious statement? Sound Of silence, Bridge Over Trouble Water, The Boxer, Mrs. Robinson and so forth. I must be getting old.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Wow, I finished watching a few minutes ago, and I just stopped rubbing my eyes -- that was actually a GOOD episode! I mean, I actually laughed the entire way through, and I can't even remember the last time that happened. Maybe not one single stand-out sketch (although the Charades skit was a keeper), but the best episode in a long, long time.

And yes, he was totally channeling Will Ferrel in the opening skit.

Wink!

BTW, I was startled to find out that Julia became the first female cast member to come back and host, not because it wasn't done before, but that she never did while she was on Seinfeld. I had assumed that this was at least her second hosting gig.

Julio Diaz

Stunt Coordinator
Thought it was one of the better episodes of the season, with a lot of good sketches, and some really funny stuff from Al Gore. Plus, the Seinfeld cameos were hilarious and Julia looked REALLY good -- better than she did for most of "Seinfeld," to be honest.

As to it being her first time hosting, I read an interview with her this week where she said she'd been asked before, but turned it down. She was very surprised to find that she was the first female cast member to return, shocked that people like Gilda Radner and Jane Curtin never did it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks