What's new

Saturday Morning TV from 60's and 70's by Warner Bros (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
That looks like a very nice collection. I watched so many of those back in the 1960s and 1970s. And I think the purchase price is quite good. :emoji_thumbsup:

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
How can they leave off the first episode of the Banana Splits? That's essential '60s. It'd be like a British Invasion CD collection without the Beatles.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
At least the 70s put in both Laff-a-Lympics and The Funky Phantom- two childhood faves not yet on disc! I'm also looking forward to seeing the Chan series- it was possibly the first time an Asian actor played the sleuth (here, it's Keye Luke, who played Number One Son in some of the feature films). Also, will the Magilla Gorilla theme song be included in the 60s set? I understand it wasn't used for the season DVD set (why?).

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
I'll probably get the Sixties set just to have Quick Draw McGraw in ANY form, not to mention Wally Gator, Secret Squirrel, etc. And glad to get REAL network "Bugs Bunny Show" and "Porky Pig Show" presentations

But I will hate to be forced to double-dip on Top Cat, Space Ghost, and The Jetsons. And I don't care at all about Marine Boy. Not sure WHAT's in that "Tom and Jerry Show"! Any idea?

Much easier to bypass the Seventies set, as I already have the Looney Tunes, Jetsons and Flintstones -- and care about nothing else.

At least WB is being creative, if nothing else.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I like some of the work from the 1970s, but not as much as the 1960s. And since I do own much of this material already, I will need to be choosy with what I purchase. But I do like the representative sampling. :emoji_thumbsup:

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

The first actor to play Chan in a movie was George Kuwa in "The House Without A Key." While he was Asian, he was born in Japan. I'm going to guess that some Chinese people consider that as offensive as Charlie Chan played by a Swede.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Wow! I can't wait. These look like great sets!
Maybe they'll do 50s and 80s sets later-on.

Even though I am a completist and like to have complete seasons, it does get a little tiring watching 5 episodes of Magilla Gorilla in a row, and we all know that there are a lot of shows that will never see full season releases. So I think a collection like this is a great idea.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
I will pick up both of these sets.

I am surprised that the Filmation Tarzan is included. If Warner Brothers has the rights to this series, I am surprised that a Tarzan complete series set has never been released on DVD.

I hope this also precedes a Bugs Bunny Show set that includes all of the animation directed specifically for the TV show by Friz Freleng, Chuck Jones, and Robert McKimson.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Now if only The Impossibles and The Super Six could one day make their way to DVD....

I might even spring for The Mighty Heroes.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Too bad there is no Superman 1960's show ( with a Superboy cartoon included)
and no Superfriends show in the 1970's set.
Tired of hearing about the lawsuit/ rights issue with Superboy. DC reprints some Superboy comics in its Showcase collections. As long as they don't call the set, Superboy ,I think they could include the cartoon.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
While these do look like good sets and I will probably purchase them I have to cast my vote for these as dissapointments because there are many shows in here that I have been waiting for complete releases and this more or less signals that complete series sets will not be coming on the shows not already out that are included here.

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator

The TARZAN inclusion really caught my eye also. That series is part of my holy trinity of 1970s Saturday morning cartoons (with HONG KONG PHOOEY and CHALLENGE OF THE SUPER FRIENDS). Maybe sales of this set will dictate an eventual season release? I sure hope so. (Although its been ages since I've seen it to see if it still holds up to my warm nostalgic memories of it.) I've always been tempted by those bootlegs at comic book conventions.

I don't mind the double-dipping of TOP CAT and SPACE GHOST on the 1960s set, if it means I'm able to own episodes SECRET SQUIRREL and QUICKDRAW MCGRAW on dvd. However I'd much rather they included HERCULOIDS instead of MARINE BOY(?).

Still these sets sound like a cool concept (at least from a potential first viewing), but if this is supposed to replicate a true representation of Saturday Morning viewing, does this mean that the BUGS BUNNY/ROADRUNNER SHOW cartoons will be the non-violent edits?

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
:laugh:
There is such a thing as too much authenticity, isn't there? Although looking at the WB shorts included, I do not think there were any edits to these particular shorts, other than the title card and music inserted in place of the original theatrical credits, and the removal of the "That's All Folks" at the end of each cartoon.

I share your hopes of a complete series set for Tarzan. I resent the fact that the only way to see these cartoons is to buy bootlegs because the rights holder is not meeting the market demand.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
A friend believes that the Tom and Jerry content on the Sixties Set to be from the seventies made-for-TV version! I was hoping for a reconstruction of the '60s TOM AND JERRY SHOW with two T&J's and another unrelated MGM cartoon in between, and an occasional Chuck Jones era bumper. I fear, though, he may be correct because the titles are unfamiliar to me.

The inclusion of MARINE BOY is most unusual! I’m not certain if it WAS a Sat AM show (Can anyone confirm or deny?) -- but neither was WALLY GATOR. QUICK DRAW McGRAW actually WAS, for a brief period, on CBS Sat AM, having moved out of early evening syndication -- and replaced (at least here in NYC) by WOODY WOODPECKER.

But most puzzling is that I don't THINK (though I could be wrong) that MB was a WB or WB owned or acquired show!!! An anime show will seem jarringly out of place in that mix. Why not just select another H-B hero-action show that they already control the rights to like Moby Dick and The Mighty Mightor, The Herculoids, or Frankenstein Jr. THAT would certainly be more representative of sixties Sat AM than Marine Boy!

There's JUST ENOUGH in the Sixties Volume to make it worth buying. I really want the network BUGS BUNNY and PORKY PIG SHOWS! And the non-double-dip H-B stuff. Unfortunately, there's also too much I either ALREADY HAVE, or don't want to make this the true joy that it could have been!

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I am so in, just to get an episode of Tarzan!

I used to watch Marine Boy in the 70s. I knew it was made in the 60s...but i didnt think it ran on Saturday morning either?

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
be nice if they'd put vintage toy and cereal ads in between the show to give it a proper Saturday morning feel

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
I'm curious as to how the video will be on the HB shows that they said were rough and thereby preventing their release on dvd at the time.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia

I have a theory on this…

About 2005, both QUICK DRAW McGRAW and WALLY GATOR were announced as upcoming releases by WHV.

Then, they were withdrawn. Among the reasons given were issues with the source material.

Both the Quick Draw and Wally cartoons listed for this set were VERY EARLY IN THE RUN. First and second installments, very likely. Thus, I believe that these particular cartoons WERE “upgraded” for DVD (…for potential Volume Ones of each series) before the series were nixed by WHV.

As for the BUGS BUNNY and PORKY PIG SHOWS… I’m betting these were potential candidates for Extras in LOONEY TUNES GOLDEN COLLECTION Volume Seven, (…or left off of Volume 6) before that series was officially ended.

Thus, this becomes a catch-all for double-dips and other odds-and-ends that may exist without a home. Still, I like the idea! Nice “out of the box” thinking on WHV’s part.

…At least that’s MY theory! Any others?

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Kudos to Warner Bros. for such a clever idea! I'm in for the 70's collection, mainly for a chance to revisit Laff-a-Lympics, Batman/Tarzan, and the Flintstones Comedy Hour, all of which I have very fond memories of and never expected to see the light of day (hopefully the original intros are included). I would have liked to see Dynomutt included, but if these sell well, you can bet other collections will be on the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks