What's new

Sattelite radio newbie questions (1 Viewer)

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Hi gang, I finally got with the year 2004 and installed a Satellite radio (sirius) in my hotrod.

I'm still trying to get the hang of operating it etc. One problem I seem to have is interruptions in service around gas stations and such. Is this because of the equiptment they use there such as their computers?

Also, what's a good station to listen to for learning/educational purposes?

I enjoy channels 20, 21, 22, and some of the 80's channels and court TV. I lost my channel list so I don't know what's what unless I'm looking at the screen. What channel is the history channel? What channels are your favorites?

I must admit I'm impressed with the selections I've seen so far.

I got Sirius because I was informed it had no commercials which is why it cost more, now I read a thread here saying XM is going commercial free.

Has anyone here tried both? If so, which service do you like best and why?

Thanks for your input,
Eve

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hi, Eve!

I own both SIrius and XM.

Let me help....

Your problems with Sirius dropout are not unique.
Many people with Sirius experience more dropouts
than with their XM service. This is due to the
configuration of the Sirius satellite orbit. Sirius
is attempting to remedy this problem by adding more
repeaters in the near future.

Which service is better?

In my opinion, at this point XM. Their sheer amount
of music far exceeds Sirius. XM programming is
better on the decades channels and you'll find far
less repetition than Sirius.

However....

Things are about to change at Sirius. I'll be
posting a full report on Thursday night about some
of these changes. If everything I am hearing is
true, Sirius could be the dominating service by
this time next year.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Glad you are enjoying your service. Since you just got hooked up, you probably haven't visited Sirius Backstage yet. I would encourage you to do so. They have a great forum. Sirius will have a totally new programming lineup that is launching next week. They will be mailing out new stream guides to subscribers soon. You may have dropouts going under bridges or overhangs, as it obstructs line of site with the satellite. Sirius is planning to install more repeaters this year though, so that shouldn't be as much of a problem in the future.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Well, from where I stand, Sirius still needs to do a lot to meet that expectation. I found their CES announcements disappointing, and XM kinda one-upped them by going comercial free. I'll be interested to hear what you have to say, tho, since I think competition is good and I want both to survive. (Not to mention that I'm also a Sirius stock holder...)

Jason

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jason,

Just came back from Sirius.

Lots of great stuff coming up.

Sirius is on their way to becoming something far
better than XM.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Ron, thanks for responding. I am very interested in reading your report about Sirius and the new upcoming things in store for us.

Thanks to everyone else for responding as well. I'll try the websites listed and go have a look see.

I am certainly no guru when it comes to certain technical type things and had no idea about the repeaters. I hope sirius gets more of them soon! There is NOTHING more annoying than an interuption in service when you are listening to a great show that you are totally into and then miss bits and pieces of important information due to the "acquire signal" popping up.

This always happens at the gas stations near my home. I thought it was due to their equiptment interfiering with the satellite or something. Now I know better.

I do know one thing however, I will NEVER ever EVER listen to AM/FM radio AGAIN!

Satellite radio is the wave of the future. I'm glad I'm a part of that future.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
People on the Backstage forums are reporting that the repetition problems on the decades channels are clearing up. The changes are starting. Sirius is listening. Thanks Ron for taking our concerns to Sirius.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Aha! I think I found what my major problem was. I live near an airport. Thought never occurred to me that driving around out here when I can visibly see airplanes in the sky might be effecting my signal.

I'm thinking thats what it is.

Otherwise, when I'm away from this area my service rarely has an interruption.

Yah! :)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Really, ice storms, etc. have done very little to block up my reception.. going into any parking garage, however, is almost automatic :) When we have -very- heavy rain I get blinks as well.. (then again, I can't really pick up AM then either, and since I only listen to either AM or XM, I don't have a comparison..)

Users who are viewing this thread