Sanford & Son Season 3 - potential problem

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Greg_S_H, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I know this isn't out yet--don't know when it's due, off-hand--but I just saw a potential problem while watching an episode on Nick at Nite just now. In episode #51--"Mama's Baby, Papa's Maybe"--Esther originally says (I don't feel comfortable saying this, but it's a quote; I'll spoilerize it not so much for content, but to preserve the joke for those who haven't seen the episode), "WHAT did you say, nigga?!"
    That used to run unedited when TV Land played the series a few years back, and it was a real jaw-dropping moment when I first saw it. Now, it's been edited to where she says, "WHAT did you say, sucka?!"

I hope the edited version is not what lands on the DVD. David, I'm sure either you or Gord will review this set when it comes out. Could you keep this in mind and check for it?

2. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

In an episode from Season 2 of The Jeffersons, George uses that word when he finds out an old friend is hitting on Louise. I don't know if that was dubbed over for syndication, so hopefully they'll use the original versions for S&S, which is also Columbia/TriStar.

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

4. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I haven't seen any language being cut on Seasons 1 & 2 of Sanford and Son. Watch the same episode on TV Land and you will see it cut.

5. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

Amazing how times have changed eh? Theres another episode of Sanford'n'Son where he goes to court for whatever reason and he shouts out something that Id never thought Id hear on tv! [​IMG] I just about fell off the couch! Not that I was offended mind you,I found it hilarious ,people were a bit less uptight about being PC back then I guess. It was just a real shock to hear it on daytime tv. That kind of stuff would never fly now I imagine. I got to pick these up soon,one of the best shows ever. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Later,

Luis S

6. James_Garner

James_Garner Stunt Coordinator

James Garner
    I wouldn't worry. Redd Foxx used the word on "Happy Birthday Pop" in season one & It's still there on the season one dvd set.

7. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    What about the cut episode on disc 1 of season 2? Columbia has yet to address the problem.

8. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    They've been playing Sanford on Nick at Nite all week. The more I think about it, that might explain the line change. Nick is strictly a childrens' network during the day, so maybe they didn't want to risk that line for an audience that young. I haven't been watching on TV Land since it came back, but the line is probably intact there. It's actually kind of depressing that the show is back on TV and so readily available. I'm not nearly as excited by the DVDs as I was when season one came out.