What's new

Sand Insulation (1 Viewer)

Alan Locke

Auditioning
Hello everyone, its coming time for me to close up the walls of my home theater, I was just going to use standard acoustical fiberglass insulation, but then I noticed talk of sand. Would filling my walls with sand bags be worth the trouble or should I just stick to fiber glass?

Jason D.

Agent
Alan,

I have heard of filling the front stage and/or riser with sand for sound deading, but not walls. Maybe you could consider it in those two applications if they apply to you. Good luck!

-Jason

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
My theater designer recommended one layer of 5/8 and one of 1/2. If you put multiple layers make sure you tape the first layer before applying the second and caulk all gaps around outlet boxes and any other holes. You really only should put sand under the front stage, not in the riser. There were some good articles on how to build the stage and riser in the last few issues of home theater builder mag. If you are going to put sand in the front stage verify that your house can take the weight. if it is on a cement slab it should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks