What's new

Samurai movies to add to my collection... (1 Viewer)

chris larralde

Stunt Coordinator
I'm lusting for some more quality samurai flix.
So far I've got Criterion's Seven Samurai, Samurai I, Samurai II, Yojimbo, and Ran.
What else am I missing?
Does anyone remember a movie from the 80's called "Heaven and Earth"? It had a very Kurusawa feel to it (epic) , but haven't heard anything of a release.
chris

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Chris,
Try these
SANJURO (Criterion) sequel to Yojimbo
HIDDEN FORTRESS (Criterion) Kurusawa again
SAMURAI III (Criterion) If you have the first 2 you have to get this.
CHUSHINGURA (Image) Same director as the Samurai trilogy - tells the famous story of the 47 ronin.
If you like anime I highly recommend
RUROUNI KENSHIN aka SAMURAI X TRUST & BETRAYAL - 4 part story on 2 seperate DVDs
enjoy
Jim

Sam Hatch

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, 'Heaven and Earth' was great! I have the laserdisc, which I had to special order even when it was new, and haven't heard anything about a possible DVD release. Beautiful film though.
Ditto what Jim suggested. The 'Baby Cart' series and 'Lady Snowblood' are some other favorites, though I've only encountered them on VHS - if there aren't DVDs of them by now, I'm sure they will be coming eventually. Oh, and 'Kagemusha' is great too, though once again I only have that on VHS as well.
------------------
"Negative. I am a meat popsicle."

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Then there is "The Hunted" not the class of samurai films but enjoyable.
We are waiting for the Lone Wolf and Cub and Zatoichi series to be released by Animeigo. They are currently saying next spring.
go here: http://www.animeigo.com/Samurai
Now there are other Kurosawa films out there, currently released by Mei-Ah. I got Hidden Fortress (before the Criterion), Throne of Blood, They Who Step on the Tiger's Tail and one other.

Martin G

Second Unit
The LONE WOLF AND CUB movies are always a great choice. You can also check out THE RAZOR, as well as LADY SNOWBLOOD. you should check out the AnimEigo site. They put out a lot of really good samurai films. SWORD OF DOOM is another good Mifune samurai film to check out.

Rich P

Stunt Coordinator
Both "Baby Cart" and "Lady Snowblood" were also released by AnimEigo on laserdisc as part of their Samurai Cinema series.
The "Baby Cart" aka "Lone Wolf and Cub" are on AnimEigo's schedule for release next year (after being delayed from a release this year.) AnimEigo is negotiating to get new transfers from vault negatives so that the DVD can be made from new source materials (and be anamorphic).

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Then there is The Hunted not the class of samurai films but enjoyable.
We are waiting for the Lone Wolf and Cub and Zatoichi series to be released by Animeigo. They are currently saying next spring.
go here: http://www.animeigo.com/Samurai
Now there are other Kurosawa films out there, currently released by Mei-Ah. I got Hidden Fortress (before the Criterion), Throne of Blood, They Who Step on the Tiger's Tail and one other.
[Edited last by Philip Verdieck on October 03, 2001 at 03:33 PM]

Lucas Dang

Stunt Coordinator
sword of doom is great and its criterion, on ld anyway, but its not a mifune film.
Heaven and Earth is a must have.
Harikari- another favorite.
Animego has some great stuff coming in the next few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks