What's new

samsung tv and panasonic surround sound (1 Viewer)

numan

Auditioning
Real Name
gary
Hi hope anyone can help. Ive got a samsung tv (ued6500) and a panasonic surround sound (sa-btt290). Prob i got is when i turn both on i get picture on screen but no sound till i go through surround sound menu till i get D-IN. Also should my tivo box be connected to tv or surround sound thanks for any replies.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
What source are you trying to listen to? Cable? Satellite? How are these sources connected to the system?

If you play a Blu-ray from the built-in player, everything sounds fine, right?

Generally speaking, though, this is how all systems that have external sources work - you have to select the input that you want to listen to - in this case, your source is connected to the digital optical input on the back of the surround sound system.

I'm presuming you have some TV service (cable/satellite) that may or may not include a set top box. Your surround sound system has two HDMI inputs (unusual for an all-in-one, but in a GOOD way), a single digital audio input (optical), and a single analog stereo input.

Because you have two HDMI inputs, you SHOULD connect all external sources (provided they have HDMI outputs) to these inputs, and run a single HDMI cable from the surround sound HDMI out to an HDMI in on the TV.

Really, I'm just stabbing in the dark until I know exactly what sources you have and what connections are available on them (i.e. HDMI or no).

numan

Auditioning
Real Name
gary
hi Thanks for your reply. I have virgin tivo box connected to tv with HDMI. I have the surround sound connected to the tv throught HDMI arc and a digital optical cable. I used to have samsung surround sound and when i turned tv and surround sound on picture and sound came on together didnt need to change source. Ican play blue rays, cd's ipod etc with good sound.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What you "should do" is connect the Tivo via Toslink to the surround system, as that is the ONLY WAY to get 5.1 from it.
The way you have it connected now, you only get 2.0.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Actually, since the Tivo has HDMI out, and the surround system has two HDMI inputs, all you really need to do is unplug the Tivo HDMI from the TV and instead, plug it into one of the available HDMI inputs on the back of the surround system.

You can eliminate the digital optical cable altogether.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yeah, I missed the HTiB having two HDMI inputs...do what JC suggests.
Unless for some reason you want to watch TV occasionally w/o the HTiB...

numan

Auditioning
Real Name
gary
thanks for your replies . But still cant get picture and sound to come on at same time without goin through surround sound menu. Cant it be done?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Have you read the owners manuals?
It should not be complicated to hook your Tivo HDMI into the HTiB, then connect the HTiB to the TV...
Then press "input for the HDMI you have connected for Tivo".
That is how it works in EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF AVR EVER MADE..
And I mean "should not be complicated" because an HTiB has ZERO configurability. With zero configurability...it is a mere button push.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
If you have more than one source you have to CHOOSE one to listen to. You have two sources - the internal blu-ray player and your connected Tivo.

Tivo should be connected to HDMI 1 (Cable/Sat) on the rear panel of the Panasonic (the middle HDMI connector).

There should be an HDMI cable running from the Panasonic HDMI out to the TVs HDMI in.

That's it. Two HDMI cables - there should be nothing else connecting the devices.

The Panasonic cannot read your mind to know what source you want to listen to, and it can only send audio from one source to the speakers.

You use the "EXT. IN" button on the remote control to cycle through the various inputs to choose the one you want to listen to (HDMI IN1).

Until the "mind control 1.0" standard is finalized by the various governing bodies out there, this is the way it has to be.

numan

Auditioning
Real Name
gary
i have hooked up surround sound with tivo through hdmi then suround sound to tv via hdmi arc all working wll. But if i turn tv off surround unit stays on and when i turn surround unit off then both back on ive still got to go through surround menu. Ive tried the anynet+ on tv but it cant find surround sound . thanks for your patience

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have a suggestion...
Turn off the CEC.
Since these are NOT the same brand...nor are you using ARC, you "could be" experiencing the headaches of clashing CEC(that would be the Viera Link and the AnyNet).
And, it makes ZERO sense that you have to change "surround modes" to get sound. Although, being an HTiB currently hampered by CEC, it could well be the problem.
In your Tivo, there should be a setting for Dolby Digital. Find it and turn it on. The HTiB should(maybe???) automatically default to Dolby Digital when you press/cycle(however the inputs work) to HDMI 1.
But that is me assuming it defaults back. This is HTiB, not an AVR.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By "default back"...
Let's say you are watching a BD and it is DTS HD-MA.
You turn the BD "off" (stop, whatever) and switch to HDMI 1.
I would think(but then again, this is HTiB, not a real AVR) it would switch BY ITSELF from DTS HD-MA to DD.
Maybe it doesn't.

numan

Auditioning
Real Name
gary
Ive done all youve asked. Thanks for your help. Guess im stuck with it lol. you guys are grt cheers

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I asked a colleague about "twin HDMI HTiB" and he replied with...
"Those things suck. All sound modes are available on all inputs and you have to switch through the sound modes that 'don't work' to get to the ones that do work"...
Another reason not to buy all in one HTiB.
That does seem rather stupid that a HTiB with a Tivo(which can only transmit in 2.0 PCM and 5.1 DD) connected via HTiB doesn't just cycle through the "usable" sound modes.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You only get 5.1 off your Tivo...
1. By turning ON the DD.
2. When the TV show is broadcasting in 5.1.
Otherwise you have to use DPL.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
DPL = Dolby ProLogic. It takes a two channel stereo signal and creates the center and surround channels from the two front signals. It's kind of a "fake" 5.1 but it can sound quite good at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks