What's new

Samsung hl-s4676s Picture Calibration (1 Viewer)

I just received my Samsung hl-s4676s this week. I'm totally wowed by HD and the clarity it provides, but I feel that I could be getting more out of the TV. Could you guys give me some recommendations as to what setup DVD would be best? The biggest issue I have is with the TV's production of dark scenes and shadows. The picture kind of blends all the darks together at times, making shadow detail very hard to pick out. I have a feeling this will always be an issue, and thats ok, but I think there might be some adjustments I can make to help. Thanks.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Watch in Movie mode and use DVE to calibrate the settings within this mode.

Dave>h

Second Unit
I recently purchased a Colorvision Datacolor spyder TC calibration device that I am quite impressed with.

Although more expensive - $200 - than a calibration disk, it was very easy to use (you need a laptop computer too) and the results were very noticable.

Regards,

Dave

MACPUN

Agent
Real Name
Mike
Where can I get this "calibration disk"...also is it worth it?!?!

Right now I think my picture looks great....so I'm not sure if it can get any better.

I can be wrong.:P

Thanks

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

worth it is in the eye of the beholder ... you.

Maybe it is ... maybe it isn't.

If you care about some aspects of the image being "accurate" then it is worth it.

Regards

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
get Digital Video Essentials at big chain bookstores, or online at Amazon or DeepDiscountDVD

once you go through the tutorial and know how to use the patterns it's best just to skip to the back reference section.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Gregg or Michael - I'd like your advice.

My dad just bought a Samsung (HL-S5086W) 720p 50" DLP over the weekend for a nice price. He's getting HD cable set up this week and I plan to pick him up a new DVD player.

He watches TV in a pretty well lit room. However, the image out of the box seems kind of dark and murky to me -- even with the settings at default (brightness 50, contrast 80, etc.). Now, he was running analog cable and his DVD player is terrible.

Any suggestions to brighten or liven up the image in a well lit room? Are these considered reasonably bright TVs? Once I get him a new player, I'll run it through DVE/Avia.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks