Samsung hl-s4676s Picture Calibration

Discussion in 'Displays' started by James C. Jr., Feb 2, 2007.

1. James C. Jr.

James C. Jr. Extra

I just received my Samsung hl-s4676s this week. I'm totally wowed by HD and the clarity it provides, but I feel that I could be getting more out of the TV. Could you guys give me some recommendations as to what setup DVD would be best? The biggest issue I have is with the TV's production of dark scenes and shadows. The picture kind of blends all the darks together at times, making shadow detail very hard to pick out. I have a feeling this will always be an issue, and thats ok, but I think there might be some adjustments I can make to help. Thanks.

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Watch in Movie mode and use DVE to calibrate the settings within this mode.

3. Dave>h

Dave>h Second Unit

I recently purchased a Colorvision Datacolor spyder TC calibration device that I am quite impressed with.

Although more expensive - $200 - than a calibration disk, it was very easy to use (you need a laptop computer too) and the results were very noticable.

Regards,

Dave

4. MACPUN

MACPUN Agent

Where can I get this "calibration disk"...also is it worth it?!?!

Right now I think my picture looks great....so I'm not sure if it can get any better.

I can be wrong.[​IMG]

Thanks

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

worth it is in the eye of the beholder ... you.

Maybe it is ... maybe it isn't.

If you care about some aspects of the image being "accurate" then it is worth it.

Regards

6. ChrisClearman

ChrisClearman Second Unit

get Digital Video Essentials at big chain bookstores, or online at Amazon or DeepDiscountDVD

once you go through the tutorial and know how to use the patterns it's best just to skip to the back reference section.

7. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Gregg or Michael - I'd like your advice.

My dad just bought a Samsung (HL-S5086W) 720p 50" DLP over the weekend for a nice price. He's getting HD cable set up this week and I plan to pick him up a new DVD player.

He watches TV in a pretty well lit room. However, the image out of the box seems kind of dark and murky to me -- even with the settings at default (brightness 50, contrast 80, etc.). Now, he was running analog cable and his DVD player is terrible.

Any suggestions to brighten or liven up the image in a well lit room? Are these considered reasonably bright TVs? Once I get him a new player, I'll run it through DVE/Avia.