What's new

Samsung HD 1080i input and XBOX, what the heck is going on? (1 Viewer)

Josh Z

Auditioning
“Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K.”
Okay, I need some input.
I just bought a Samsung HCL4715W Hi Def widescreen RPTV, and it is an incredible set, but something weird is happening with the 1080i input. Either that or I’m a complete tool and I’m missing something. I’m willing to accept either scenario is a possibility ;)
This is gonna get involved, so hang in there:
On my HDTV there are 2 component inputs: 1 marked for 480p and 1 for 10801. I currently use 1 for my Progressive Scan DVD player, and the other for my XBOX. When I use the 1080i input for the DVD player it looks outstanding when it is in Progressive Scan Mode. When I switch the DVD player to interlaced mode, the picture became completely scrambled, transparent and seemingly split down the middle and pushed to the sides of the screen (I know that doesn't make a lot of sense, but I don't know how else to explain it!).
Next, when I have the XBOX on the same input (1080i) the initial XBOX console menu is scrambled the same way, so that it's impossible to make out what is on the user menu on the screen. But, when in actual game mode the PQ is, again, spectacular. The XBOX is set up correctly for 16x9 1080i output.
Now on the other input (480p), both machines look great in all modes.
What the?!?!?
I do not yet have an HD STB, so I have been unable to test either input with a 720p or 1080i signal.
This is a problem because I would like to keep the XBOX on the 1080i input, because it is capable of 1080i output (though, no current games take advantage of this just yet). Also I am very concerned that there is a problem with the 1080i input that will affect when I do get a HD set top box down the road, causing similar problems with HD/SD signals. Yikes!
So to make a long story short (Too late for that):
Component Input 1 (1080i): 480p DVD good. 480i DVD messed up. XBOX (480p) in-game good. XBOX menu screen messed up.
Component Input 2 (480p): All Xbox and all DVD modes good.
So what is the problem? Can it be fixed? Do I need to have a Replacement delivered before the first 30 days is up?
So,There you are. Are you sorry you asked?
Sorry about this voluminous tome. Thanks for your time, opinions and advice!
Cheers,
Josh:confused:

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
Just wanted to chime in because I caught your Clue reference. Funny. No one understands when I say it. :)
Don't have an answer for you on your screwy HDTV woes--but good luck.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Josh,

I'm willing to bet that is simply how your TV is made. Mine is the same way. My TV has one wideband component input and one standard component input. The wideband input will not accept a 480i signal (it looks like a scrambled cable channel). So when I start up my XBOX, the dashboard (the start-up screen and dashboard are 480i only on the XBOX) is scrambled but looks great once the 480p signal from the game kicks in. Kind of sucks, but I'm used to it now.

Aaron

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
I also cannot help with your technical dilemma, but I give you 10 points for the aforementioned Clue reference, and raise you fifty for a rare Bill and Ted's reference. Nice post! :D
Okay, what I would do is buy three RCA Y-connectors and use them to hook both your DVD player and your Xbox to the 480p input at the same time. The only problem being you can't have both sources going at once. But why would you do that anyway???
Hope that helps...

Ryan_Thomas

Auditioning
I have the same TV. The first component input only does 480i/480p. The second component input only does 480p/1080i , so anything 480i will be scrambled. I have my PS2 hooked to the first one and my dvd player on the second one. Since my dvd player is always in 480p i dont have to worry about it being scrambled.

Josh Z

Auditioning
Okay, I have confirmed that while the XBOX outputs games at 480p and up, the "Dashboard" of the XBOX is output at 480i. Now that is wacky. Actually it is really poor design: When there are 1080i games that actually come out you will have to use the input on the screen that does not work with the dashboard which allows you to set-up the system for 1080i!

It wouldn't be that big of a deal, but you actually use the Dashboard frequently to do things like rip songs from CDs to create custom soundtracks for your games, or as an MP3 (I mean WMA) jukebox etc. Hopefully the big M will have a software update to correct this as it seems like a big mistake.

Thanks for the kind words Andy and Dave!

Cheers:p)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks