What's new

Samsung DVDHD931; Any Information on this Hi-Def Player? (1 Viewer)

Michael J K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I was wondering if anyone had any reviews or info or even screen shots for the Samsung DVDHD931. Seems too good to be true, but I really want to believe! ;)

Thanks in advance.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I took a look at it at a local dealer with a Samsung 50" DPL via DVI and I was less than impressed. It's 1080i did not look much better than a decent 480p player to me. I am sure the set was not calibrated, but I still expected it to look quite good.

Reece

Stunt Coordinator
I've read at a couple of HT forums that the new Denon 5900 (I think thats the model number) is the holy grail of dvi connected dvd players. The only drawback is it goes for $2000.

Shane Morales

Second Unit
I have the HD931. I use it with a Samsung 56" DLP. Running in 720p and 1080i mode the picture looks great, much better than the TV's deinterlacer (which is the same as in the HD931) working on an interlaced signal from a component based DVD player.

I've also used this DVD player on my pal's Toshiba RPTV. 480p and 720p weren't that great, but 1080i was really nice and clear. Much better than anything we've seen on his TV.

IMO, if your TV has a DVI input you just simply have to get one of these DVD players

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
This is probably nitpicking Michael, but that Samsung is not a ‘Hi-Def’ player. It takes the 480 line information available on a DVD and up-converts it to 1080i. Which is exactly what many HD TVs do when the receive either a 480i or 480p signal.

The question is, where is the best up-conversion? In the DVD player or in the TV electronics?

Michael J K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Lew, I should have put quotations around the Hi-Def. My fault.

It seems that people here are not that excited about the player, with the exception of Shane. I quess I will have to go and see it for myself in the store, and hope that the set has been calibrated properly!

Thanks for the responses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks