What's new

Samsung Done With DLP Starting in 2009? (1 Viewer)

David Flora

Stunt Coordinator
I've had my eye on the HL 67a750 LED DLP for quite some time now. I thought I'd wait until the new models get rolled out in 2009 to determine if I'll buy the 08 or 09 model. Well I've been reading around the internet and rumor is that Samsung isn't going to produce the DLP models anymore. Anyone else hear anything about it and can you substantiate anything. Should I go ahead and buy the current model or try my luck at waiting? Thanks for any info!

headknocker

Agent
Real Name
Kevin
Well, I hope that turns out to be a false rumor as I intended to get a 61" Samsung DLP in the very near future.

Keep me posted. Thanks.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I hope not either. I'm wanting the 67" LED DLP, and hopefully will get it this spring. The market needs them to stay. It needs the competition. It's the only way to get a bigger screen size, at a reasonable price. I could SLAP Sony's and JVC's management people for dropping the LCoS line of tvs.

Send Samsung an email, and ask them.............

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Same here. Hope Samsung keeps producing them (at least for one more year).

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Considering how other manufacturers have dumped RPTV technology, I wouldn't be surprised if this rumor turned out to be true. The current 2008 models seem to be solid displays -- my 67" model has been great -- so anyone who really wants one of these sets may not want to gamble that Samsung will come out with a 2009 model. I cannot imagine they would change a lot between model years.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I think Samsung will still produce DLP rear-projection TV's but they will be 61" and bigger models using LED lamps and no mechanical color wheels. For 56" in smaller, they will be LCD panels, increasingly switched to LED backlighting (very necessary because California is threatening to impose a law starting in 2011 that requires consumer electronics to be more energy efficient).

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

That would be perfectly fine w/ me since I'm mainly looking for a circa 60" LED set anyway (unless I decide to go a bit bigger like 67").

I wonder if the switch to LED backlight for LCD panels would give them some incentive to continue to produce larger LED-based DLP RPTVs. Would they be able to use the same LED parts for both (and cut production costs that way)?

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Supposedly Samsung has stated at CES 2009 that they are getting out of the DLP market -- there will be no new models. The existing models will continue to be available for "awhile", whatever that means.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Pretty stupid move if you ask me... Those of us who went the DLP route probably have no regrets because we did the research and this was the path that made sense. I love my Phlatlight DLP, the elimination of the color wheel and the power wasting light source, makes perfect sense and with more R&D in the optical department there is room to make these sets even thinner (not that 16" of depth on a 67" set is an issue for me).

If they would market these sets, market the technology, explain to the consumer the strengths of the new DLP technology, they could sell them.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
The objective of business is to maximize profits, not to maximize sales. They are not the same thing.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I certainly have no regrets about purchasing my 67-inch Samsung. In fact, I feel even better about the purchase now, knowing it will be quite some time before such an affordable alternative will be on the market in this screen size.

Unfortunately, though, Brian is correct. Large plasma and LCD screens are more expensive, and therefore, more profitable than RPTV. They also take up less store space.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Actually, I think the next frontier for home video will be projectors, since that's the easiest way to go to beyond 70" (diagonal) viewing sizes. Don't be surprised that we see Samsung start pushing 1080p DLP front projectors with high-intensity LED light source that would project a bright, high quality picture on a white screen as big as 120" (diagonal).

I'm not surprised that Samsung is no longer updating their DLP line--their current models--especially the LED light source models--are superb units, and besides, not that many people want anything beyond 61" (diagonal) size RPTV's.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The market has changed.

Those who wanted large screen HDTVs bought DLP or LCOS or LCD models years ago and are enjoying them.

The people in the market now are simply replacing their old 32" crt direct view sets and simply don't care about the larger screen sizes. 50-52" seems to be huge to most of these folks so anything larger just isn't going to sell, nor is anything that can't be hung on a wall, usually over a fireplace. To use the hated expression, J6P has taken over the market and wants neon-bright cartoonish images above all else.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks