What's new

Samsung DLP TVs (1 Viewer)

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Joe, you want to keep your eye on the 1080p units and their bad black levels. Rather severe black crush of dark details. There are none. The sets tend to roll anything close to black ... right into black.

There variable black is also bothersome since it seems to change on a whim ... with the same patterns no less.

There might also be a resolution drop off issue as the 1080p unit I worked on would only show the fine details on a particular test pattern 50% of the time.

Regards

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
hmm, that's strange, do you know who that's coming from gregg?
It's just, Stacey Spears is someone I trust very much, I expect his information to be extremely accurate, and I do believe he has or had the samsung 700AE in his own system for a while.

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
I'm posting on this tread because I couldn't find anything esle talking about 1080P compared to 720P.
I'm considering the 61 samsung as well, but I'd like someone elses opinion. How much better is the 1080P compared to the 720P? I know the contrast ratio is better, but how close would you have to be to the screen to notice a difference in the display? Because of where I live, I don't have a way to really view the 2 sets side by side with a true hidef signal. I know that eventually I will have that capability so I'd just like to know... is it worth the extra $$$?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
IMO closer than about 2x SW of non-blurred 720p and you begin to see pixel structure effects. This is pretty far away.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks