Samsung DLP in a Bright Room?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mike Girardi, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Mike Girardi

Mike Girardi Auditioning

I have recently moved to Colorado and am looking to finally buy a new set.

Talking with some surprisingly unbiased sales people I learned that Plasma sets are a mistake here because of the higher elevation. Apparantly it does something to the gas which causes noise through the speakers. I wasn't thrilled about the screen burn-in potential anyway.

As for LCD's, they just don't look good displaying fast motion images.

That leaves me with direct-view tube and rear projection.

Tubes seem too heavy and you don't get as much screen size for the price - and rear projection is almost unviewable in a room with even moderate daylight (which is where my set will be).

In looking at the Samsung DLP sets, however, they looked fairly bright. So I was wondering if these do any better in a daylit room.

Just FYI, 50-55 inch sets are probably my limit (due to physical space restrictions) and the room will have very large windows which I can only cover with horizontal blinds (I can't hang blackout curtains or anything similar) and which will face towards the set (on an angle).

Also, is there or isn't there a difference between the HLN5065W and HLN507W other than case color? I've read many conflicting reports over whether or not the 65W really has a cheaper chip inside. How can the 7W be ~$500 more MSRP if the guts are the same?

Any advice or info would be appreciated.

2. Clint Key

Clint Key Auditioning

Mike,

I am a big supporter of the new Samsung DLPs (I have the 61"). I am able to watch it in my theater room (with 3 large south facing windows with only green shear curtains) with not much trouble during the day. I imagine if my wife and I decided to get shades, or even opaque curtains it would make a world of difference. And let me tell you, you'll have a hard time finding (at this point) a rear projection monitor that looks as good as this does during night viewing. It is such a bright picture.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about your second question other than I've heard the same thing.

Clint

3. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Clint,
    Can you tell me more about your 61 inch Samsung? I am in the market right now for a new hdtv and have narrowed it down to a few different models. Is your model the HLM617? How are the black levels on that model? This is one of my main concerns. I have heard that DLP'S have a hard time producing deep blacks. Where did you get yours and how much did you pay? Thanks for the info Clint.

4. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

No worries, the Samsung DLPs do well in daylight. They even have a display setting for it. Mine was delivered this morning and when the setup guys fired it up the sunlight was streaming into the room, directly on the screen. I was really surprised how bright and clear the picture was.

5. Mike I.

Mike I. Auditioning

The Samsung DLP has a GREAT anti-reflective coating on it. You wont have problems during daylight viewing.