Samsung BD-P1600

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dave>h, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Dave>h

Dave>h Second Unit

WEll I finally broke down and entered the Blu ray camp with the purchase of a Samsung BD-P1600

My initial impression is that I think the machine is great. I tried the streaming netflix last night for the first time and it was a good experience (Watched Heroes SEason 2 episode 1). There were a few minor issues with pixelization but I attribute that to the newness of the technology and not the player.

The picture quality and the sound is fantastic although there does seem to be a minor issue with the center channel output - it is significantly lower than the HD DVD I am running but that could be a myriad of issues and I need to explore a bit more.

I have a few questions comments complaints about Bluray though:

1) Why can't I access menu's while in the film? Granted, the Blu's I have bought are "older" titles although FF Silver Surfer is pretty new but you have to stop the film to get back to the menu like in the old SD DVD world. Is this common with all Blu titles? I watched Gran Torino last night (from Netflix so maybe that is the issue) and I couldn't even access the menu, i had to take a back door route to get to the sound options. Are Menu "problems" common on Blu or is this a Samsung problem or what? The functionality on HD DVD was much better.

2) What is with the forced trailers? Is there no way to bypass these without fast forwarding? Are all Blu ray disks like this?

Curious if there are some answers to the above.

Thanks,

Dave

2. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I don't have the BD-1600, but on the BD-1500 there is a 'menu' button and a 'top menu' button on the remote. The 'top menu' button always brings up the menu while the movie is still playing behind the menu.

As for the forced ads, sometimes pushing menu works. Sometimes pushing the 'chapter advance' key works or is at least a quick way to jump through them.

3. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

(1) There are two menu keys on a blu-ray player. One is "top menu" or "disc menu". Other is "pop-up menu" or just "menu". The second one will usually overlay a menu without exiting the movie. Disc dependent though, older titles may not have a pop-up menu. Arrow keys going up or right sometimes also pops up the overlay menu.

(2) forced trailers. Hate those damn things. Most of them can be chapter skipped or bypassed with the top menu key, depends on disc again.

4. Dave>h

Dave>h Second Unit

Thanks, I will look for the "top Menu" button or similair on my remote.

Can't say I am too impressed with the forced trailer issue...

Oh well, I signed up for Netflix High def so I won't be buying many disk on the Blu format anyway. Why own them when I can rent them just as easily. I spent a ton of Money on HD DVD's and have no wish to repeat the process (and now that I am in the US, I don't have too!)

Thaks for the help.

Dave

5. Guest

Regarding forced trailers, just hit the 'next' button on your remote and you should see what chapter your on (I have the Sony BDP-S550 player and it gives me this info.)-----keep hitting to go to end of chapters (ex. 3/3)----it should then get you to the main menu of the movie your going to watch.

6. Dave>h

Dave>h Second Unit

Found teh Top Menu button and have added that to the Harmony so now get the menus coming up onscreen. Thaks for the heads up. I figured it had to be a feature on Blu since it was one on HD DVD.

Now I need to figure out if my Onkyo 806 pases 1080p 24 fps through the HDMI or not....

Thanks,

Dave

7. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    My Onkyo 705 sure does.