What's new

Samsung 6167w vs Sony 60XS955 (1 Viewer)

Timmy

Stunt Coordinator
sorry for the long post

Out of the blue, the wife suggests we get a new big screen television - mostly because she doesn't like watching standard 4:3 programs using the Toshibas X81 gradual-stretch mode (and I always complain if she watches 4:3 material in the standard mode... because she will leave the room and not return for hours - burn-in concern)

Of course, I don't argue with her about the new proposed purchase ... (hee-hee).

I already know it must be be another RPTV; but this time either a DLP or LCD ste; these fit our budget.

Since Samsung DLP RPTV's keep getting such great reviews, I looked on the internet and found the exact model I wanted;
HLR6167W 61 inch.
To buy this set, all I had to do was to tell the salesman... "I'll take it" and it would be mine.

Once we got there, sadly... I kept noticing another brand of RPTV. The picture was noticeably better to me; and it was a Sony LCD rptv: KDF60XS955

Not believeng my own eyes, I went to Circuit City. They had both the same exact models right next to each other; and just like at BB... the Sony IMO had a superior picture.

So; I imagine you think the next decision is simple; just buy the Sony.

Two things stop me from buying it:

1. The included speakers (that I would never use) are on the sides - in a strange "batwing" configuration.
I can't live with that setup.

2. The speakers on the sides make the set way too wide for our room layout. There's no more room to expand, nor any way to rearrange. If those unusual-looking side speakers weren't there; I'd of already purchased the Sony.

I've read a few rumors about the "new" Sony LCD RPTV's due out soon.

a) are the rumors true?

b) any links to specs and pics of the supposed "new" Sony models (maybe they redesigned the cabinet)?

Timmy

Stunt Coordinator
BTW, I had serious issues with the Samsung picture; but wasn't going to get into that in this post.

aaron campbell

Second Unit
Funny, I had the opposite experience as you. I compared those at CC also, and after watching the hd Germany fly over loop, the Sammy blew the Sony away. The trees on the Sony were muddy, and on the Sammy you could see individual leaves. I love my Sony 32" crt, but I couldn't buy a rear projection Sony after comparing them to other tv's. I went with the HLR6167W. If you can wait until the end of July, the new Samsung 1080p tv's will be out. Of course I, like everyone else, will have a different opinion, but it's all what YOU want and can live with. Happy shopping.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

New stuff is always coming out, you just have to wait. They usually start to show up in the later summer to fall time period.

Regards

Timmy

Stunt Coordinator
I found a AVS thread that had some early info on the newest Sony sets; but its dated "March".

Was anyone able to determine if the A20 series LCD rptv has the "Cinema Black Pro" capability ... like the A10 series is reported to have?

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
The 55" and 60" A20s are listed at onecall.com and also sonystyle.com. They also don't appear to have the Cinema Black Pro (auto iris) that the A10's will have (A10's are 42" and 50"). The XS series still may have better picture quality or ability to fine tune your settings. The killer for me on the A20 and A10 is that they dropped twin-view (sore of like PIP only side by side). They also dropped the memory stick slot but I could care less about that.
The A10's will have the speaker on the botom vs the sides, but I don't think I could ever go back to a non-PIP set.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Timmy - I came to the same conclusion as you when I was looking for a new TV. I was going to buy a DLP set, most likely a Samsung, until I saw the Sony. For me it was an easy decision to make since I also really like the Sony cabinet. I've had my 55XS955 for a little over a month and I couldn't be happier.

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
I actually returned my Samsung HLP 4663W a couple of weeks ago in favor of the Sony Grand Wega IV 50WE655. The Sony RP LCDs blow the Samsungs away as far as color, detail, and overall image quality go IMO. Even the black levels on the Samsung, which DLP is supposed to be better at by far, were hardly any better than the Sony. Long story short, I'm extremely happy with my new Sony set so I would highly recommend them.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi guys

I own a Samsung 5067W and really like it.

Happy viewing!!

Gregg

Timmy

Stunt Coordinator

UPDATE:

Wanted the XS, but couldn't tolerate the side speaker "wings". I've heard the WF655 has the same exact picture as the XS, just not the 5 ch sound.

So... I just purchased the KDF-60WF655.

I know the new A20 is supposed to have new features; but (as far as I can tell) it doesn't have PIP (Sony calls it "Twin View)... nor does it have the Sony Memory stick port.

I can't live without PIP (pro football season), and my wife wanted the memory stick port. SO even if the 60" WF may not have the enhanced black level; I decided to go with it due to the other listed factors.

HH Gregg sold it for $2900 plus sales tax. Set is brand new, in factory sealed box. Won't be able to unbox it until Saturday at the earliest :frowning:

My HomeTheater page:
http://hometheater.home.att.net

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
Congrats, I know you'll enjoy it. I stepped up from a 27" 4:3 crt to the 50" widescreen and I can't stop watching stuff. I'm rediscovering my entire dvd collection. You may find yourself doing the same thing. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks