What's new

Samsung 16X9 Widscreen (1 Viewer)

Terry K

Auditioning
Greetings, it's been awhile but my last purchase was based on the great info picked up right here. My Toshiba 16X9" Direct View has been great these last few years. Had a yoke adjustment done by an authorized service man and it has been a real joy!

It's time to buy another direct view 16X9 HD ready set for my son. Like the fellow before, he has worked and saved 2000.00 for last two years. Amazing! Put me in with the poor folks with credit card debt but no real dough.

Have read a lot about the technical data on the Samsung Direct View 16X9 but how is the picture quality? The 30" screen will be perfect but does it compare favorable to the Toshiba or Panny for just plain subjective viewing. I know it is a real personal thing but if anybody has any info I would be very grateful.

I plan on getting back into the forum and helping others as we go along.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Although Samsung delivers great product (I own their 30" HDTV and their 42" table-top HD-RPTV, plus two of their 19" flat-screen PC monitors), don't expect good service if they ever became broken.

I've been waiting for literally 8 months for a part to be ordered in from Korea for my 30" HDTV.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Aside from David's unacceptable situation, the Samsung displays are winning kudos from the A/V magazine reviewers.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
That's right Jack, other than the stupid service situation, Samsung's picture quality is absolutely great, and if you factor in the relatively cheaper price, it's even better.

That's why even while I'm having problem with my first Samsung product (the 30" HDTV, and still not resolved yet, btw), I bought three more Samsung displays and a Samsung convection microwave oven which although about 30% cheaper than the Panasonic counterpart (which I also own), works heats faster and quieter than the Panny.

Now I wish I can get the 30" HD fixed.

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
David,

Hello. I too have the 30 inch widescreen direct view (TXM3097WHF)and have been experiencing problems with what is otherwise a decent set.

When using component or s-video you notice some transparent vertical lines on the screen. It is most visible when you hit stop on the DVD or LD player and get a black or blue screen. You turn up the brightness some and you can see the lines. I tried 3 different sets with the same problem. A tech came out today to my home, and he says he has never seen the problem and isn't sure it can be fixed.

So now I don't know if I should deal with it or what,

Anyway is this the same problem you have?

David Susilo

Screenwriter
YEP!!!!!! That's EXACT the same problem !!! One vertical line is on the left side of the screen (you can clearly see it), and another one (almost invisible) is right smack dab in the middle of the screen.

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah that's about the same positions my lines are in. Also if you turn off the TV set for say 30 seconds the lines move over some. Tell me, is the part you are waiting for the fix to this problem? If so, what is this part and how did they go about figuring it out so I too can maybe relay this info to the tech or samsung to fix this.

Other than that I do like this set and am almost on the verge of dealing with it. It is the cheapest widescreen set I saw other than the Daewoos which are in the same price range but I haven't been able to see them in person.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
In my case, the locations of the lines are constant. The part I'm waiting for is not for that, it's for the clunking sound that it gives out every now and then. As far as those lines, they keep telling me that everything is within spec. (big "yeah-right" there!)

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
Within specs? Who tells you this, Samsung or an authorized tech? When I called Samsung, they supposedly checked on the set they have there and found nothing. I dint it hard to believe they even checked anything or if they did, I wonder if they even looked very hard.

In any case, the tech that came to my home yesterday offered to take the set back to the shop and run some tests an in effort to fix the problem, but he said there is no guarantee they can fix it.

So I guess regarding this problem, we can either return the set or just deal with it?

The 2 other problems I noticed on this set are:

1. a blueish line on the very edge of the left side of the screen when watching TV in panorama mode. You see it mainly in dark screens. You can shift the screen over though to fix it. All three sets I tried had this problem.

2. On a couple stations I get a hum from one of the TV speakers when watching TV. 2 sets did this. I never tried to find it with the 3rd. This could just be a problem with the stations(VH1 and USA) so it may not be a problem at all.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
The Authorized tech told me that. The person doesn't know squat about 16:9 TV. I went to FOUR Samsung Authorized tech and NONE of them knows anything about 16:9 TV. They tested everything only in the 4:3 area using 'Normal' mode.

stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid

It seems, however, that this problem only occurs in Samsung's older gen 16:9 TV. I've seen the 3098WHF and 3099WF, the problems are not there at all.

So you may want to raise hell to Samsung for your TV to be exchanged at no cost.

As far as hums, I don't know, never watched anything but LD and DVD.

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah the model I have is the 3097WHF. What model do you have?

What are you going to do about it?

I wonder how hard it would be to convince Samsung to upgrade to a 3098 if these models don't have it.

Terry K

Auditioning
Your information on the Samsung has been great! I think I'll stay away from the 16x9 Samsungs because I am just not as knowlegeable has you folks and the line problem would give me a stroke.

New TV buying eyes always see all the flaws and when something is so apparent and service seems to be nil, the decision becomes simple.

As stated earlier I have the first line of 16X9 Toshiba, CW34X92 and after fixing the yoke problem and straightening out the picture, it has been a real workhorse. Does anyone have their newer model and how does it compare? Thanks again for all the great feedback.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I own the 3092WF, their first generation 30" 16:9 tube. For the same price, you can get Samsung's tabletop 42" HD RPTV with 3:2 pulldown with the exact same weight and footprint as the 30" direct-view.

It won't be too difficult to make them exchange the unit in my experience, but it takes lots of phone calls. They are exchanging my 3092 (I just heard today) with the 42" tabletop for US$100 more. I'm taking that offer.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I own the 3092WF, their first generation 30" 16:9 tube. For the same price, you can get Samsung's tabletop 42" HD RPTV with 3:2 pulldown with the exact same weight and footprint as the 30" direct-view.

It won't be too difficult to make them exchange the unit in my experience, but it takes lots of phone calls. They are exchanging my 3092 (I just heard today) with the 42" tabletop for US$100 more. I'm taking that offer.

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm how long ago did you get this unit?

I will call Samsung and see what I can do too then.

The 42 inch tabletop sounds interesting. If the 30 inch 3098 doesn't do this, I would be just as satisfied getting this model.

Thanks I will see what I can do.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I bought the 3092 in August 2001, literally the very last unit in Canada. I've been bugging them since April 2002 but since they didn't have any other 16:9 models at the time, we can just wait until the new model arrives.

Supposedly the should receive the replacement 42" tabletop within 2 weeks.

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
I called Samsung and of course they said they knew nothing of such problem and weren't able to do any sort of upgrades. They said I would have to go directly to Sears where I purchased the set and see what they can do.

I will have to go to Sears and see if they can upgrade me to the 3098WHF.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks