What's new

Sammy DLP screen problem (1 Viewer)

WilliamPC

Agent
I have a 5 month old Samsung HLN507W DLP set. A week ago I noticed that on the right side of the screen there seems to be some gray "shading or hazing", almost like "fog" on glass. Its hard to explain. Its static and it can only be seen when the source material is light in color. It doesnt matter what the source is, whether it be DirecTV, DVD, XBOX. You cant feel it so maybe its on the inside. You can see thru it too so its not like dead pixels.

I have tried cleaning the screen to know avail. Other than cleaning it, never has anything come in contact with the TV, no liquids, nothing.

I cant figure it out. Since its hard to explain I will try to take a picture of it so maybe someone can tell me whats up. Can anyone think of a mechanical issue that can cause this. How about how the screen is made. Could something be happening on the back side of the screen???

I bought it at Circuit City with the warranty plan so I may call them.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

WilliamPC

Agent
I want to bring yjis thread back to see if someone has an Idea of what is going on. If you read the about post you would see that my screen was blotchy on the edges. They day the tech guy was to come I accidently leanded against the screen and a large part of the blothchyness went away. I used my fingers to push on the other spots and they went away too. Strange because its veery evident the issue is on the back side of the scree.

Today, when I fired my PC on which is connected to this Sammy via a VGA cord, I noticed the blotches were back, and worse. They are really hard to see when the source material is dark in nature. If its light then its no problem.

Now, I know I could just walk up to the TV and push the sqreen in with a bit of force (so it flexes) and the blotches will go away.....but they come back. I dont think I should have to do this all the time.

I called samsung and they are looking into a service senter in my area. The previose ones were very unreliable.

Anyone know the iner working of these DLPs and how this screen blotchin could happen....and how pressing o the screen would make it go away?

Just would like to have some ideas when the servive company calls so I can put them yjtough there paces.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
If you sit off to the side, do the smudges appear light instead of dark?

Since you said that by pushing on the screen the smudges go away, I would suspect there is something like oil droplets between the screen layers (an RPTV has at least two layers of sheet plastic, sometimes three, as the screen.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/vidfres.htm

WilliamPC

Agent
Thanks for the replies guys. The smudges get harder to see the farther to the side you move. If visible, they are always darker than the rest of the screen. I havent checked to see if they are more prevalent when cold or hot so I will check that out.

I have yet to hear from a local service company. Like I mentioned above, they dropped the only real service center in my area from their list. I cant blame them as the last time they came to my house they were clueless and acted like my DLP was the first they had ever seen.

Im really hoping that they end up having to replace the set. The color wheel whine is getting worse. It used to be just barely noticeable but now I can hear it all the time unless Im listening to something moderately loud. If these "blotches" keep coming back I dont want to have to deal with it.

My only fear is that Circuit City (purchased there) only carries the XX63 series and the XX85 series. The XX85 series is very cool looking but I have already invested in a stand and furniture to match. The XX63 seems to be plaugued with lots of problems...correct me if I am wrong. I love the Sammy picture so I dont know what to do if that happens.

BTW- I have a CC extended warranty coverage that gives me a gift card for the purchase price I paid for the TV. Maybe I will look at something else.

WilliamPC

Agent
By the way, the smudges in the picuter above are identical to those that mine has.

I have no problem wiping the screen down to make them go away and I have no problem with them going away after the set warms up. I just need to know if this is a defect that will get worse and worse over the years and eventually fail. I would hate to manage thru this problem for a few years while it gets worse and then when my warranty expires it become a problem that I am stuck with.

Glenn_B

Auditioning
I realize this thread is a year old now, but I was doing a search on screen fog and this came up...

I believe I'm experiencing the same thing on my new JVC-ILA... brand-new, out of the box, I get exactly the fogging effect you're describing here. A friend of mine says the Sony he has at his office does the same thing.

What we think it is is that the second screen layer, underneath the protective layer, isn't completely flat, so it catches the light differently than the reflections on the outer surface. That would explain why it goes away when you push against it -- the layers become flush, and the reflection equalizes on both surfaces. That's our uneducated theory anyway.

So this started happening after 5 months? I've returned this JVC twice now (I'm on the 3rd one) and I'm trying to figure out if I should just keep it, as there is no visible effect when the TV is on... I'm just afraid it'll get worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks