What's new

Sam the Record Man bankrupt! (1 Viewer)

nousername

Supporting Actor
Sam the Record Man has declared Link Removed . This is indeed sad news for us Canadians. They are a great source for CDs and DVDs. I hope the one in Vancouver stays open...

nousername

Supporting Actor
What I meant to say is I hope the Vancouver store stays open for many more years to come. It's one of the few to remain open for now...

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
quote: What I meant to say is I hope the Vancouver store stays open for many more years to come. It's one of the few to remain open for now...[/quote]
I hope so, too. I love Sam. Great prices, great selection, great service.
I called Sam in Vancouver today (the one on Seymour St.). They told me they were unable to comment on the bankruptcy (no surprise there). They did say they were closed at the moment, but would be reopening "in a few days." Hopefully, it won't just be for liquidation.
frown.gif

------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
Anyone in the Vancouver Canada area interested in a meet? Click here
[Edited last by Rain on October 31, 2001 at 02:37 PM]

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I wonder what will hapen to the one a Yonge & Dundas?
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
I certainly hope we don't lose the one in TO. Those giant spinning discs at the entrance have been there for as far back as I can remember, although I can only see back 14 years of my 17 year long life.
[Edited last by Mark Kalzer on October 31, 2001 at 06:18 PM]

Mitty

Supporting Actor
That is indeed a shame.
frown.gif

Sam's was the only reliable place to find non-mainstream stuff (Criterion, Image, etc.) at reasonable prices.
I hope they keep stores at least in the major cities (a la Eatons).
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/007822.html
Scary Movie Challenge: 13, 12...4, 3 2 to go!

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Mitty, you been to the Seymour St. store, I assume. I'm there almost daily.
Kinda makes me wonder if we've ever walked right by each other without even knowing it.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
News reports say that some independantly operated stores will remain open. We lost our STRM around 84/85, i believe.
When I was a road musician I got to spend some time in Toronto, and was amazed at the size of the Yonge St. store - I probably had spent two hours there just taking it all in the very first time.
On a return visit about 6 years ago I returned to T.O. for a seminar, and the first thing I did with my free time was check out all the great record shops, (John Lipsin's Incredible, etc) and had to stop by Sam's. At that time what impressed me was the selection of laserdiscs they had, but they also had several out-of-print items in stock (a good example, the original Disney cartoon program 'Donald's Scary Tales', with The Skeleton Dance), but they were holding out for collector's pricing (they wanted $150 for that laserdisc).
I can't say I'm surprised at this turn of events. When they closed down their online retail site, I assumed that they couldn't justify the cost. Reasons quoted for the end of the business come from (a) economics, (b) fickle consumers, and (c) internet downloading.
They will be missed. If the landmark Yonge St. store closes, it will be a sad day in music retail indeed.
Here's a story from the CBC website:
http://www.cbc.ca/cgi-bin/templates/view.cgi?/news/2001/10/30/sam301001
[Edited last by Keith Paynter on October 31, 2001 at 07:58 PM]

brentl

Senior HTF Member
It is sad to see the company die, but from what I've heard Sam wasn't the nicest guy.
He supposedly wouldn't let a franchise make any money.
Brent L
this comes rom a guy that had a store.
------------------
OK guys ..... The tour of the Paradigm
plant is now being planned. GO TO THE HOME THEaTER
MEETS PAGE and register.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Well at least Calgary Chinook Center is a franchise. It'll still be around YAY!
------------------
McPaul.
ICQ McPaul 121412168
[email protected]
"Would you like an extra large McPaul to go with that shake?"
McPaul is Canadian.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Just walked by the Seymour street Sam's this afternoon. Closed for inventory the sign said. Probably for the creditors. According to the article I read in the newspaper today, this one is one of the many to be shutdown permanently.
Patrick
------------------
Evidence of my obsession.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Just walked by the Seymour street Sam's this afternoon. Closed for inventory the sign said. Probably for the creditors. According to the article I read in the newspaper today, this one is one of the many to be shutdown permanently.
Shit
frown.gif

It will only get worse, I think. Without Sam's low prices right next door, A&B will only have Virgin to beat price-wise, so we can all probably expect to pay $3-$8 more for new releases soon.
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
Any smokers who want to accept the challenge of joining me in quitting? If so, click here

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
The Yonge St. will remain open. I believe only six stores in Canada, either franchises and flagship store will not be closed. Hopefully a major sale will be happening soon. I want a few titles a really good prices.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Rain,
Seymour St. was indeed the one I was talking about. I'm not there all that often, maybe once every couple of weeks. But you're right, we may have passed one another without knowing it. Unless your nostril were cocked and aimed at me, I probably wouldn't recognize you. :)
My initial thought was that A&B would see that they've eliminated their principal competition and would jack up prices, but then I thought that the real price setter for the past year (or maybe two) has been Future Shop (aka Putrid Slop). So, I don't THINK A&B can get away with that just yet.
We'll see. It is a real bummer even still. It's a good store for off-the-beaten-path stuff.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/007822.html
Scary Movie Challenge: 13, 12...2, 1 Complete!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks