What's new

sam fuller film collection (1 Viewer)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
According to a post on another board, the only titles announced are THE CRIMSON KIMONO, UNDERWORLD USA and the Fuller scripted SCANDAL SHEET. It will also include the excellent doc THE TYPEWRITER, THE RIFLE, AND THE MOVIE CAMERA.

Speculation is the other titles are going to be the Fuller scripted IT HAPPENED IN HOLLYWOOD, ADVENTURES IN SAHARA, POWER OF THE PRESS and SHOCKPROOF as they are the only other Columbia titles he worked on.

Since the set is said to include seven films, that makes sense.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
As far as I know, Verboten !(1959) is also a Columbia film directed by Sam Fuller. With the addition of this title we would have a box set with 7 films and the documentary as a special feature. Well, we will have to wait for an official announcement to find out.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Movies unlimited has now the line-up fo this set:

As the silent film era draws to a close, a Western star (Richard Dix) finds his career in dire straits while his leading lady (Fay Wray) thrives, in "It Happened in Hollywood" (1937). It's an "Adventure in Sahara" (1938) when a band of mutinous legionnaires banishes their despotic commander to the harsh desert. C. Henry Gordon, Paul Kelly star. A dedicated newsman must stop his unscrupulous publisher from using their paper for his own political purposes, in "Power of the Press" (1943). Otto Kruger, Lee Tracy star. A beautiful ex-con (Patricia Knight) is torn between her straight-arrow parole officer (Cornel Wilde) and her shady gambler lover (John Baragrey), in "Shockproof" (1949). The editor of a "Scandal Sheet" (1952) kills his wife and puts suspicion off himself by assigning a reporter to find the killer. Broderick Crawford, Donna Reed star. While investigating the murder of a stripper, two detectives fall for the same woman--who also happens to be their star witness, in "The Crimson Kimono" (1959). Glenn Corbett, James Shigeta star. Cliff Robertson stars as a man seeking revenge against the crooks who killed his father, in "Underworld U.S.A." (1961).

I can not wait for this set to e released!

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
For anyone interested, the UPC for this collection is: 043396323186

I've added it to the DVD profiler online database.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger

It was an RKO picture released by Columbia after the company folded. Warners owns it now.

Mike S.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Ah. A fab set this is, though, and a great year for Sony. Much movie love here.

Real Name
randy selzer
thank you Mike! definitely will be getting this, along with the noir sets, the screwball comedies, the Hayworth...in fact the majority of my DVD spending this year will be going to Sony....

Cheers!

BrianRi

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if these titles will be available separately? Underworld USA and Scandal Sheet are excellent and must-buys, the Crimson Kimono is good but not something I'd buy, and the others I haven't seen but sound like good rentals, but Fuller only wrote the story or contributed to the screenplay for those. Basically, there are really only two out of the seven titles I'm willing to slap down the greenbacks for.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Shockproof is a minor Film Noir/Crime Drama starring Cornel Wilde and directed by Douglas Sirk who's really more at home directing soapy melodramas. I haven't seen It Happened in Hollywood, Adventure in Sahara, or Power of the Press so I have no opinion on those.

If the price is right I'll get the set just for Scandal Sheet, The Crimson Kimono and Underworld U.S.A.

I really doubt any of these films will be available individually based on recent Sony sets (Budd Boetticher, Hammer Horror, Icons of Adventure, etc)

juda

Agent
Real Name
Judy
This is great news, I completely love sams collection
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks