What's new

Saint-Saens Symphony #3 Recordings/SACD-DVD-A/CD?? (1 Viewer)

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Hi, I am on a Quest to find the ultimate recording and I have narrowed the search so Far to finding a recording done in the Royal Albert Hall or Liverpool Cathedral..

Please I am Only at this time looking to Acquire this Concert at these Places, Mainly because the Organs Are Able to Produce the 16HZ tones I am looking for in this concert..

I have Bought 2 versions already and they have Fell short of what I have heard from a Test CD from HSU..The Concert that was recorded on that TEST cd is NOT Available on Laser Formats :)

In the notes that came with the Munch / Boston Symphony version, it talks about the deepest organ pedal tones being 36.7Hz low D-flat in the poco adagio, and 32.6Hz low C in the Maestro movement.

So as you see the above concert is falling way short of 16hz this is one of the versions I bought and was recorded in 1959'.. The other one was done by the Philadelphia Orchestra..

I would like to get a SACD/DVD-A Multichannel Recording of this Concert but a Stereo CD version will be fine.. Do these recordings done at the above Royal Albert Hall - or Liverpool Cathedral exist on SACD/DVD-A/CD??

EDIT: I found a Telarc CD that was done by the London Symphony Orchestra.. But I am NOT sure where it was recorded or if it is a live performance??

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have two suggestions. My favorite is a Telarc with Christian Badea and the Royal Philharmonic. Telarc did a little trickery by using the only suitable (a Casavant Fréres) organ they could find in a venue with matching acoustics, which they found in Naples Florida. So it is actually recorded on two continents. You might at least give it a try. Otherwise, I would think the organ at Davies Symphony Hall would be up to the task, so you might look into a San Francisco recording. I don't actually know the specifics of that organ.

Dan Lassiter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Lassiter
John,

I've always been partial to the Telarc with Ormandy and Michael Murray on the organ. How does the Badea Telarc compare to that recording? It's not available as an SACD, is it? I've really been enjoying the Munch SACD on RCA Living Stereo. I know it doesn't meet the OP's criteria, but I think the liner note description of how the difficult recording was achieved is fantastic. In order for the soundstage of the orchestra to match that of the organ pipes, that spread across the front of the hall, they took the seats out of the front, and spread the orchestra the full width of the organ pipes. I'd never given any thought to that before.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Dan,

I've had the Ormandy for years and I seem to recall I do prefer the Badea (both have Michael Murray on Organ) but I couldn't really say for sure why. It may just come down to the superior Organ. I have NEVER sensed any clue that the Organ and Orchestra were recorded separately. The interpretation may be a bit more emotional. I still have both, so maybe I will compare them. As far as I know the Badea is not on SACD, but those are both Soundstream recordings, so I don't know how much difference it will make.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Getting back to the OP, I remembered that I have several recordings of the Organ at Davies, and I am quite certain it is suitable for the Saint-Saens 3rd. I would seek out something with the SFSO.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Well so Far NO Luck Finding Saint-Saens worthwhile. I had bought another CD and that was worthless :(

I even went the the SFO Website and found a Gem. they havea recording in Davies Hall with some Organ music looked really good definetely getting that after the Holidays.. AS I can Tell now the Telarc is my last hope as I have exhausted most of the Saint Saens Symphonys..on CD/SACD

I might have some luck with an Album but I do NOT own a Decent Record Player :(

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I have always had the impression that (one of) the best recordings was of Charles Munch and the BSO. It is not a live recording but I was living in Boston at the time.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Well Actually the Munch Recording is so Far the Best but still does NOT have the 16HZ tone I am looking for :(

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Well I had received the Telarc CD and that was not bad seemed to have the Proper tone. really sounded low.

I had found another Recording done at Davies hall this Should be the One to beat but so far Telarc is the one to be beat ..;)

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Well it appears I was Wrong about the SACD by the Philadelphia Orchestra. I had Too Setup Bass Management and If I had a Better Sub I would Probally hear the Bass like on the CD's..

I am going to save up for a HSU ULS-15 Sub..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks