What's new

SACD playback questions? (1 Viewer)

indebt

Auditioning
Real Name
joe
Hi,i am hoping someone out there can help answer two questions i have.First one,i live in Vancouver Canada and so far haven"t had much luck finding a retailer that has a good selection of SACD"s.And two,i"m using a Intergra 6.5 dvd player and matching Integra 6.8 receiver.Not using at this time any HDMI connections.Just wondering, in analog multichannel playback does your dvd or cd have to be in SACD or5.1 format to get the sub to work?I"ve tried reg cd"s in analog multichannel mode,and the sub does"t work.However played Eagles Farewell Tour,in analog multichannel mode,and sub worked.I"m hoping there is a way to play reg cd"s in analog multichannel mode with the sub working.Is there any hope??? Thanx..

Joe...

DanFe

Second Unit
Joe,

I have never gone cd shopping in Vancouver; however, did hear that Absound is a good place to go.

Store Locations

Here in Seattle, I would go to Silver Platters. There are 3 stores in the area. In Portland, OR Music Millenium.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Joe

If you are playing regular CDs you should use the digital connection to the receiver or the stereo analog outputs (in this case unselect any "direct mode")

indebt

Auditioning
Real Name
joe
Thanx for your reply.Normally my cd playback would be in digital form,but because of an audio delay in zone#1 due to the DSP processing, creating an echo when i play both zones at the same time,the only way i can sync both zones is by,bypassing the DSP used in zone#1.This is why my big concern to see if there was an option to get my sub working in analog mode.When i played the Eagles,i was still in analog mode but had to switch from 48kHz,16bit to dts3/2.1option for my sub to work.My receiver and dvd player was still showing analog multichannel playback at that time.I dont know if that makes any sense?Anyway thanx again.

Joe...

FeisalK

Screenwriter
it's the DSPs that are enabling your sub to work when you feed it a 2-channel signal.

there are a couple of options to circumvent this but they are permanent (i.e not easily switchable)

Probably the best one is to find an outlaw ICBM-1 analog bass manager and connect it between your player and receiver. unfortunately these have been discontinued and sales of used units are rare

The other option is to connect the sub via the speaker outputs instead of the Sub pre-out from your receiver; you'll need to reconfigure your system to "no sub" and large mains speakers. (this is how subs would have been connected before sub pre-out came into existence)

indebt

Auditioning
Real Name
joe
It"s a relief to know there is an option,thanx for taking the time to help me out.

Joe...

Blair G

Second Unit
Real Name
Blair G.
I live in Vancouver and I can assure you, sadly, that you will find little or nothing in the way of SACD's at A&B Sound.

This is not a knock on A&B. They have been my favorite retailer by far over the course of my lifetime. But they never embraced hi-rez.

There are few titles left at most of the Best Buys. Key word here being few.

Adagio at Main and 18th is the only other option I'm aware of and even their selection has dwindled of late.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
well, you'll find very little in the way of SACD (or DVD-Audio) at any B&M store anywhere in the world

indebt

Auditioning
Real Name
joe
A buddy of mine just told me that HMV on Robson St.had it"s top floor deadicated to SACD and other high def audio.Have you ever been there?

indebt

Auditioning
Real Name
joe
Sorry FeisalK,i must not be doing something right.I thought i was replying to Blair G,who lives in Vancouver.

Joe...

FeisalK

Screenwriter
heh :)

Brian - you should just archive it offline somewhere

it was a sticky in the old software; while Outlaw discontinued the ICBM it became quite relevant if you were hooking up a new BD (or HDDVD, back then) to an older receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks