What's new

SABRINA THE TEENAGE WITCH -- What's been cut? (1 Viewer)

Claude North

Second Unit
I saw the disclaimers on the first two season sets that material has been cut from the episodes of SABRINA. Does anyone know what cuts have been made and how extensive they are?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I haven't gotten them yet, but I can take a guess - and that is probably music rights. The episode "A River of Candy Corn Runs Through it" featured 10,000 Maniacs.

Also, on "Sabrina Claus" Johnny Mathis was in it, and I think he did a song too.

We shall see - I should have mine in a couple of days, but that Internet order includes about 2 dozen other disks. :)

Glenn

Shawn_Sm

Stunt Coordinator
The 10,000 Maniacs performance is intact, and I remember hearing some popular music. I don't remember Johnny Mathis, but I wasn't really paying attention during that episode. The only thing I can think of is in the episode "Rumor Mill" I believe a pop song used during a montage was replaced. This is based only on my vague memories of the episode so I don't even remember the song. Something about rumors...

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
The Johnny Mathis music is also intact as he appears in the Christmas episode "Sabrina Claus"- he sings "Oh Holy Night" at the end of eps and music by him is also played earlier in eps. The strange thing is that this episode clocks in at just a little over 21 mins (the others run closer to 22 mins), being one of the shorter eps so far in the set, so I am guessing something else was cut...though it would have only been like about 30 secs worth or so.
I have just finished watching the first two discs. I think the music may have been changed in the episode "To Tell A Mortal" in the montage scene where Harvey and Valerie are with Sabrina having fun in the other realm. Not sure but the song playing at the end of Pt.2 of "Sabrina Gets Her License" and dances with Harvey may also have been changed. I am going to check with my original off air copies to make sure. :)

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
In the episode "Dante's Inferno", the Monkees' "Daydream Believer" song is also intact as is another song that Davey Jones sings in the episode. It appears that anytime a musical celebrity guest stars in an episode, any music that belongs to that person is being kept intact. Having said that I am guessing that the episode with the Backstreet Boys as guests will also keep their music intact as well (haven't gotten to that episode yet).

Derek_J

Stunt Coordinator
Backstreet Boys seem to be intact. Whatever edits they made, it's not as obvious as the first set.

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
Also in the 2nd season episode "The Equalizer", Savage Garden's song "Truly,Madly,Deeply" has sadly been replaced with a generic song. Too bad..that song made the Valentine's Dance scene all the more poignant and special.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I was watching S.3 yesterday and noticed the generic music in place of where actual radio songs used to be though I can't remember what they are at the moment.

But the biggest glaring cut, that was truly mind-boggling, was the performance of Phantom Planet at the beginning of "And the Sabrina Goes to..."!!! Especially since the Backstreet Boys performance was in tact from the first season. And especially because the end credits still says "Phantom Planet as Themselves".

Shawn_Sm

Stunt Coordinator

Who on earth is Phantom Planet? Maybe that's why it was cut, they couldn't figure out who to contact. :D

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
You probably have a point, though the reason I knew who they were is the song of theirs that was cut appears on the STTW soundtrack and it's really catchy. Plus I believe I read somewhere that at one point movie actor Jason Schwartzman was their drummer.

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd

I know what you mean...to actually leave the end credit of Phantom Planet in, but to totally cut out their appearance and performance in the beginning makes absolutely no sense...somebody goofed. The fact that the group intially agreed to appear on the show in a cameo, would seem to indicate their consent to song rights for syndication (like Backstreet Boys & N'Sync's appearances) but i guess not for DVD release...this really confuses me and ruins the continuity of that scene. You would think it would be to Phantom Planet's advantage to want to have their bit included in the episode for everyone to see (you'd think?).

Thank goodness I still have my recordings of the series from original airings which are complete and UNCUT. It is only because I am such a BIG fan of the series that I continue to buy the seasons as they are being officially released on DVD (I'm hoping all 7 seasons get released). These cuts because of music licensing and rights definitely DO make a difference to the "feel" of an episode when they are altered and drive me CRAZY!!!

I'm glad you enjoyed reading those reviews...they were the first two I had found that actually listed in detail what cuts and changes to music were made in the DVD releases . They show just how much stuff has been altered in episodes and sadly most of it is tied into music rights. I guess until new legislation is passed that allows all that is in a tv show airing to remain in the show regardless of the medium it is being shown in (syndication, VHS, DVD, internet etc..), this problem is not going to go away...if anything it's getting worse! Wonder if it will ever happen...i mean .come on....Martin Mull singing Doris Day's "Que Sera Sera"..was a funny scene...but again....is gone cause of music rights...i mean this isn't even the original artist's recording of the song (just like Morticia in The Addams Family singing "it's so nice to have a thing around the house" being cut)...and what's Halloween without the "Monster Mash" song? It's ridiculous!

Sabrina had some great soundtrack music playing in episodes through out the series as well as alot of musical guests and it is really sad that alot of this is being replaced by generic stuff. Is there going to be more artists disappearing like "Phantom Planet" did only to be mentioned in the end credits?

I am holding my breath to see what changes there will be in season 4. Would love it to say: "The Complete Fourth Season"
and what about some bonus features? commentaries, bloopers, commercials, TGIF tie-ins (course I guess season 4 would be the last season for that) behind the scenes....it would be great to see some of this stuff included in future season releases.
.... in my dreams maybe..... :)

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
All I know is that in Season Four, EVERYTHING had better be intact for Paula Abdul's appearance, especially with the episode opening with the "Opposites Attract" video. That episode is one of my favorites!

I also wish they would release extras on it and actually interview the stars!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks