What's new

s-Video Out To TV (1 Viewer)

AbelM

Second Unit
Ok, here is my question:

I have a lot of S-Video cables *PS2, XBOX, Digital Cable* yet only on on my tv. Now I have S-Video on my reciever, but when I plug all of these into the reciever, then have my monitor out wiht S-Video to the TV, wouldn't that make every source "to be played" on one channel? (i.e. My S-Video IN on my tv is called Video1) Doesn't this kinda suck? I mean if you wanted to pause a game and switch to see if there is a good movie on, you can't right?

Hi AbelM, I have a similar problem with my set up. I hook up s-video from my DVD and T.V. and lose my picture, but great sound. If I unplug my S-video from the T.V. I get the picture back but no sound. The only way I can get sound is if I change my input signal to analog but the sound is not the same. I know this doesn't answer you questions but maybe someone can shed some light on this?:frowning:

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Actually, just the opposite is the case. Everything you could want to watch is connected through one connection to your TV, so you just switch what source you want to watch on your receiver.

Let's use the scenario you posted above. You're playing a video game and want to pause to see if there is a movie on. Pause the game, then switch your receiver from the video game input to the cable box input. You'll now be watching (and listening to) digital cable.

This is the whole point of video switching. It simplifies the connections.

Jim_Stu

Stunt Coordinator
AbelM,

Ken is right. Even if you have a non S-Video device,

like a VCR, convert it to S-video. In a few short years it

may all be component video, but for now, S-video rules..

JRS

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
I think I made it pretty clear in my post above. Using your receiver for video switching will simplify connections and make it easier for you to switch from one source to another.

Hi Ken, I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but if I hook up S-video from T.V. to receiver and another connection(s-video) from DVD to receiver I lose video from the T.V. I have tried different combinations and the T.V. has a home theater option. When this option is on the T.V. becomes a monitor and all of the other jacks on the T.V. become dead.I think I am missing something or doing something wrong.

Michael Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Joe, I just want to make sure I understand you correctly. When you hook everything up to the receiver, you are loosing some picture quality?? And you are running a s-video to the tv/monitor jack on the receiver?? And you are putting the TV in "home theatre mode"?

Hi Mike,Not picture quality but the all video. I put the T.V. in "HT" mode and run one S-video cable from the T.V. to receiver and another S-video from DVD to receiver that is when I lose the picture. If I unplug S-video from T.V. and use RCA cables then picture comes back but sound is not the quality. Hope this helps.

Michael Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Joe, Is it possible that the s-video wire going from your tv to the receiver is bad?? What type of Tv do you have? How many inputs does it have in the back??

The T.V. is a Mitsubishi 36" and when I go into the menu I select home theater ON and when in this mode I don't use the input button on the T.V. but the input selector on the receiver. I can get DTS mode but to get regular cable T.V. I have to unplug the S-video cable from the back of the T.V. it is a pain in the butt.

Michael Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Joe, Is the S-video on the back of your TV Input 1?? Don't put your TV in "Home Theatre Mode". Just put your TV on Input 1 or whatever Input the s-video is hooked to. Then use your receiver to switch between DVD and TV. see if that works.

Hi Mike, I will give it a shot. The S-video on the T.V. is an input, the reason I think this is that I can hook up my DVD directly to my T.V. all of the other ports are EXT-1,EXT-2 and Tuner out. I will let you know how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks