S-Video cable for Sega Saturn?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jesse Skeen, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Does anyone know if the S-Video cables sold for use with the Sega Dreamcast will also work with the Saturn? The end that connects to the system looks the same, but I can't tell if it really is or not.

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

No the Saturn has a plug that is very similar to S-Video, whereas the Dreamcast uses a Multiout that is very similar to the PlayStations Multiout.

3. Michael St. Clair

I bought a gold-plated Saturn s-video cable from Hong Kong for about 2 bucks 2 years ago, and if I had known what a rare item they had become, I would have bought a couple of dozen.
    You can get one from Lik Sang at http://www.lik-sang.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=1097&
    You'll want to buy a couple of other things if they have something you want cheap, otherwise shipping is going to cost more than the cable.
    [Edited last by Michael St. Clair on September 19, 2001 at 08:27 PM]

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Yep, the connector is different than the Dreamcast's- I got it confused with the controller connectors. That really sucks how they have game systems made so you have to use THEIR cables instead of putting regular S-video out jacks on the systems! I remember you had to buy a whole attachment for the Turbografx system just to get ANY A/V outputs on it!

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yup. The basic reason is cost. Outputs take up a lot of real estate on a console, and only the PS1 originals had even seperate RCAs on them. It's a lot cheaper and more versitile to just use cables like that,because you can serve everyone out of 1 connector on the board
    Jeff Kleist

6. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

8. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Or in the case of the Jap. GameCube selling any cables period, as the system didn't come with any!