What's new

S & V reviews DV-47A (1 Viewer)

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
Evelio where did you get the DV-47A? I got mine from Soundpros.com here in San Diego. They're selling it for $750.00 with shipping included. Hope you didn't end up paying too much for it.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
When I read the review on this player I almost went out and bought it. But I just spent $300 on a stand alone Sony SACD player. But an all in one package sounds too good to pass up on. But my #1 priority is how good is the progressive scan image? The picture quality has to come first due to I will be using it 75% for home theater and 25% music. I already have a pretty good progressive scan player, so it wouls have to be better than the one I have to upgrade now. Also my concern is crosstalk between the audio and video circuitry. I try to keep the 2 seperate. That is why I have the standalone sacd player. Is there a way to shut down all video circuitry when listening to dvd-audio or sacd? I think what I might do is wait another 6 months to a year to see what other manufacturers come out with both sacd and dvd-audio on the same player. Hopefully this dreaded format war is finally over with affordable combo players.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I think what I might do is wait another 6 months to a year to see what other manufacturers come out with both sacd and dvd-audio on the same player. Hopefully this dreaded format war is finally over with affordable combo players.
I could deal with multiple players vs a combo unit if we could at least get digital output for at least 1 format to avoid the rat's nest of ICs and switch boxes needed to accommodate 5.1 input to a controller with only one set of such inputs.

Doug

StaceyS

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, sounds like you already have a progressive player and SACD player you are happy with. I would just keep what you have.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Stacey,the reason why I would like a combo player is so I can take advantage of both sacd and dvd-audio. Really I am only interested in the audio side of things but if I can get a really good progressive scan player that does the 3:2 pull down conversion better than my current player then I am all for that. Right now I am only able to play sacd's due to only having one set of 5.1 inputs on my receiver and I do not want to buy a switcher box. I want the option of dvd-audio and sacd all with the same player.

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator
I got the feeling from reading the S+V "review" on this player to be a mere advertisement for the player than a real in-depth review.
Don't forget S+V roots. They basically combined Stereo Review and Video magazines. Stereo review was the most noncritical magazine in the industry -- at least that I've seen. Everything was basically "it competes with products 2x the price" or variations thereof. You really have to read between the lines to get their true opinion on anything. When everything is given a non condemning review, it helps keep the manufacturers sending stuff in and buying ad space.
I don't bother with S+V anymore -- it takes too much effort to figure out what they are really thinking :)

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
did you happen to read the HT mag on the product, sure S&V is a rosey mag, and to some extent HTmag is too, but they gave it a 92, pretty decent I must admit, it makes it tempting, I would probably wait a year when 3-6 similar product are out, and they can do a comparo test

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Rodney, Yeah, I read the Home Theater article on it. That is what prompted me to do a search and bring this subjectup again. It looks like a real sweet piece. I am so tempted to take my bonus check and buy one! The 92 rating is a high mark and I know some people do not give alot of credit to Home Theater magazine for their reviews but I am not one of those people. I have had a subscription to their magazine for years and they have never pointed me in the wrong direction. But I think I am going to resist the urge for right now. I know a year from now that more players will be available and the technology will be better and less expensive.

David Judah

Screenwriter
Right now I am only able to play sacd's due to only having one set of 5.1 inputs on my receiver and I do not want to buy a switcher box
I know what you mean. I have to switch my cables(just L & R for SACD)when I want to switch back and forth between formats because I refuse to risk degrading the signal through a switch box. It's kind of a pain, but I do have easy access to the backs of both players.

DJ

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Yes, I refuse to buy a switcher box. I am all about the quality and am going to wait for a less expensive quality combo player.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Friends,
I have heard SACD on this player for a third time and for the third time, it is terrible. Something is wrong with the implementation. Sound & Vision has never been respected for quality audio reviews by most audiophiles.
The low weight also indicates terrible build quality.
I'm all in favor of universal players but I am passing on this one. :frowning:
Lee

David Judah

Screenwriter
Lee,

What other SACD players have you compared it to? I'm curious, because in my listening tests it was very close sonically to the Sony 222 & 555ES, which are generally well regarded SACD players for the money.

I didn't prefer its performance over the Sonys for redbook, however.

Although I don't discount subjective opinions because everyone has a different yardstick and preferences based on their experiences, terrible seems a little strong.

DJ

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
David, where have you heard it compared to the 222 and 555? is there a link, I have been waiting to read about how they compare to the sony's but have yet to find a review, thanx for the help in advance?

David Judah

Screenwriter
That was my personal impression when I was comparing the units, Rodney. It was close with SACD, but like I said, I preferred the Sonys for CD playback.

DJ

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
I have the DV-47A & I think the SACD sounds great on it. I have been pleased with the SACD discs that I have purchased & played on this player. I'm also pleased with the DVD-audio & progressive scan on this player. The 16x9 compressed mode for non-anamorphic DVDs is worth the price of the player since my 16x9 T.V. locks into full mode with a progessive signal. I have no complaints with this player.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
David,

I compared it to the Sony SCD777ES and the XA777ES and the 9000ES.

In my mind, it lost with all three.

I wish I could be more positive but that is what I heard. Here are a couple of areas I found lacking:

1. Soundstaging ability

2. Extreme high frequency

3. Midrange purity

I stick by my original comments.

Lee

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I had the 9000ES in the bedroom system and sold it and have the DV-47A with its multiformat capability. I had the opportunity to compare both units to the Marantz on reference systems and the 9000ES is certainly better on SACD than the DV-47A. I like the all-in-one for the bedroom and the DVD-47A has good DVD-A and on CD on the analog outputs I think it does a slightly better job than the 9000ES. This is Pioneer's first all DSD/SACD effort (w/o the conversion to PCM) and it is a good product at its price point if one is looking for the all-in-one solution. For 2 channel SACD use only, I had the Sony for about a year and it is clearly better.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Phil,

Thanks for your post. I certainly agree with you on this.

I am sure Pioneer will get better at this universal game. They are a great company. I am saving for a Pioneer Elite RPTV. The image on those is superb.

Lee

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Those are nice TVs Lee, I think the new ones do auto ISF. I formerly owned a non-digital 60 inch (Pioneer Elite) 16:10.7, and currently have a Sharp 64 inch widescreen that shares some parts with the Pioneer waiting for me to finish the basement - They are a pain to move (my Sharp is 346 lbs.) so I went to the route of a Sharp DLP projector in the main system (still apart as I had my room painted now waiting on the screen, new furniture, just sold my preamp and now need to decide which way to head in the next couple of weeks) - not having that big box between the speakers can only help the sound and my main system has too much light for even a direct view TV during the day (and when I have the basement done I can watch the 64 inch) and 20 lbs. is easier to lift. In some ways Pioneer Elite is like the Sony to SACD. They have a year or two more experience in streching modes and tend to be a bit better at those things than most manuf. Not that the DV-47A is terrible, but Sony has more experience at the present. I also tend to think that players that don't do all-in-one, including video, are mostly better. The 9000ES has a bypass mode for some of the video stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks