What's new

Rykodisc version of "M" (1 Viewer)

Raj_Thiara

Agent
Noticed a DVD for R1 for two Fritz Lang films (Spies and M) put out by Rykodisc. Anyone know anything about the AV quality of this production?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
It's lousy. The Criterion disc isn't much better. There is a new restored version that was released in Germany which blows away the Criterion. Unfortunately, there are no English subtitles, but I hear a new version is being worked on (possibly by Criterion?) for R1. You can check out shots of the different versions on dvdbeaver.com.

Jeff

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
There is an extensive discussion of the new transfer of M at dvdscan (also known as The Laser Examiner). It is currently available only as a Region 2 PAL disc from the German label UFA (and is expected on the UK's Eureka label later this year--also in the PAL format).

While I suspect we'll see this version in Region 1 eventually, it may be a while--Criterion has recently indicated that they don't plan to re-release M using the restored elements, at least in the near future.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Here's the final paragraph from that review:

If you are dependent on subtitles to fully understand the film, you might want to wait a bit for the release of the 2-Disc Set Special Edition of M by Eureka in the U.K. in September 2003. It will feature a new digital transfer to be made a High Definition Datacine, and will also for the first time present a 50 minute interview with Lang, extensive documentaries, audio commentaries, and more. The Laser Examiner will supervise the project, including the transfer.
I think we can officially refer to the above as the Best News Of The Year. Period.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Here's the final paragraph from that review:

quote:
If you are dependent on subtitles to fully understand the film, you might want to wait a bit for the release of the 2-Disc Set Special Edition of M by Eureka in the U.K. in September 2003. It will feature a new digital transfer to be made a High Definition Datacine, and will also for the first time present a 50 minute interview with Lang, extensive documentaries, audio commentaries, and more. The Laser Examiner will supervise the project, including the transfer.

I think we can officially refer to the above as the Best News Of The Year. Period.
I agree, wonderful news. I'll be buying the R2 Eureka disc as soon it is available.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Is this version fully restored in terms of running time to that of its original cut?

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Yes, it's been totally restored and reconstructed (hence the supplement that compares the original version on the disc, and the post-WWII recut).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks