What's new

Rutles sequel coming - finally! (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
According to the Digital Bits, The Rutles 2: Can't Buy Me Lunch is being released on March 1, after being sat on for nearly 3 years.

Great news. :)

[fixed typo]

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
This sounds interesting. As a major Beatles fan I enjoyed the original RUTLES and can appreciate the humor. Will this sequel be about the solo years?

AndrewR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Rubio
So which is it? Can't Buy Me Lunch or All You Need is Lunch?

Was Neil Innes involved with this? Without his music, I just don't see how this could work.

EDIT: Answering my own questions here. It is Can't Buy Me Lunch and Innes was not involved. I went to IMDB and looked up some info on the film and found out his involvement seems to be in clips from the first Rutles special (All You Need is Cash).

Andrew

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I dunno about this. It's purely an Eric Idle project. None of the other Rutles were involved (at least not Innes). IIRC it's mostly just interview clips of celebs reminescing about the Rutles. When I first heard of it (I think it was at Idle's show "...rips off monty python") I got the impression it was either a vanity piece or his jab at Innes for releasing a second Rutles album without him.

And it being shelved for 3 years can't be a good sign.

-paul

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Okay, being a huge Rutles fan, I had to get this as soon as it was released.

In case anyone was wondering, "The Rutles 2: Can't Buy Me Lunch" is awful. Technically inept, conceptually unsound, not very funny, and (perhaps most egregiously) inconsistent with the original film. A complete wasted opportunity.

I would get rid of this disc immediately if it weren't for the nice amount of outtake and alternate footage from the original film scattered throughout. In fact, about half way through this, I considered dumping all the footage into my computer and removing all the "new" Eric Idle stuff...

Oh, and yes, there are songs from both Rutles albums in this film. In fact, it seems they took pains to shoehorn in the "new" songs. One particularly annoying example of this was using outtakes of the "Living In Hope" performance from the original film and recutting it to "Easy Listening" from the Archeology album. Ugh.

Clay_E

Second Unit
On the other hand, the Billy Connolly interview stuff alone is worth the price of the disc.:emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff Kuykendall

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, some of it's awful (I agree about the mis-editing of the "Living in Hope" performance), and some of the interviews are funny. But this movie doesn't really need to exist. Since too many years have passed for Idle to film some new scenes with the Rutles (they're far too old to play young versions of themselves), he uses new interviews with celebrities for his laughs, and those are spotty.

It would make a good extra on the original Rutles DVD, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
As a Rutles fan, I'll still get it but that's disappointing. I haven't found it at any stores, and it's expensive at Amazon. I can easily wait a few months for a price reduction.

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
Yep, it's a rehash. And it could have been better.

But I still loved it.

The Rutles rule.

And yes, it was the trousers.

Seriously.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Do you have a Borders nearby? I found it there for $20, and they got something like six copies here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks