What's new

Rush to Tour in '04 (1 Viewer)

Zane Charron

Second Unit
Yes, it is true. On the 30th anniversary of their first album they are doing a tour. And finally they are going to make it over here to Europe! Happy days.

That's it for info though. Stay tuned in the new year.

http://www.rush.com/

Steve Crowley

Stunt Coordinator
Did you get the new "Rush in Rio"? Or the 3 cd of the concert? It is pretty good for the die hard fans. Can't wait for the new tour. Saw them in '78 and have not missed a chance to see them when they come around. Cheers.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Sweet. I saw them for the first time in 96 then again on opening night of the tour in Hartford in 2002. I'll definately be up for this if it comes near me.
My older brother, who got me into Rush, will have seen them 4 times if they make it our way.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
why can't we have a Rush thread without someone saying that ;)
Do Yes fans have to suffer the same criticism over Jon Andersons high voice as well? ;)

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor

Hmmm, I don't think Geddy has really hit that high range since the early 80's. Moving Pictures seemed to be the point where he made the conscious decision to lower the register a bit. That's not to say he doesn't hit those stratospheric heights occasionally though...:)

It'll be interesting to see what their playlists are for the 30th anniversary...Will they continue with the same list they did for the Vapor Trails tour (since it touched just about every single album they've ever recorded) or throw in some more of the lesser played tunes? Saw them twice on the recent tour (and I think 6-7 times overall), so I would certainly prefer the latter.

kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator
lesser played tunes! when they played natural science a couple tours ago (t4e?), i just about died and went to heaven. they also played all side one (whoops, does that date me?) of 2112. brilliant.

Zane Charron

Second Unit
I think doing a chronological retrospective would be really cool. Something like opening with Finding My Way and moving through Vapor Trails, playing some songs that never get played live anymore, like The Camera Eye. Maybe something like this:

Finding My Way/In the Mood/Working Man medley
Bytor and the Snowdog
Anthem/Fly By Night medley
Bastille Day
Selections from Fountain of Lamneth Suite
Selections from 2112 Suite
A Passage to Bangkok
A Farewell to Kings/Xanadu medley
Cinderella Man
Closer to the Heart
Selections from Hemispheres
The Trees
La Villa Strangiato

Intermission

The Spirit of Radio
Freewill
Entre Nous
Red Barchetta
YYZ/The Camera Eye/Vital Signs
Subdivisions
Digital Man
The Weapon
New World Man
The Body Electric
Kid Gloves
Red Lenses or Between the Wheels
Territories
Emotions Detector
Prime Mover
High Water

Intermission

Show Don't Tell
Presto
Bravado
Ghost of a Chance
Cut to the Chase
Double Agent
Cold Fire or Everyday Glory
Driven
Totem
Dog Years
Peaceable Kingdom
Ceiling Unlimited
Freeze
Earthshine

Encore

Tom Sawyer
Time Stand Still

HA! I realize that is a huge set list, and would never happen, but it's nice to think about. I like the idea of doing medleys. It would allow them to play the songs for fans but to cut down on the running time signifigantly.

I wonder if they will take http://www.rushpetition.com/ into consideration again this tour?

FeisalK

Screenwriter
i suppose I'll have to wait until they're in crutches before they come this way.. :frowning:

Do Yes fans have to suffer the same criticism over Jon Andersons high voice as well?
while listening to a Yes album once, someone younger commented "this guy sounds like Sting" ;)

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
It will be great to see Rush again. I saw the Signals tour back in '82 - That was a good show, but the Rush In Rio concert DVD shows them at a different level all together. What a great band!

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor

Personally, I'm not such a big fan of this...I understand why they do it currently, but if they were to really do a "lesser hits" tour, I'd want full versions of songs. Every time I've heard that truncated version of 2112, it just leaves me wanting the rest..

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
I've seen every tour since Grace Under Pressure in '84 and missed 'em this last time. Thank goodness I'll have a chance to remedy that. My favorite band. :)

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Wow someone actually wants to hear them play Dog Years? :) Just one of the TFE songs that I like to ignore that it exists ;)

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Geddy won't be doing Ceiling Unlimited, it's too tough on the voice to do it every night. He has to strain through most of it.

I'm glad you left "Roll the Bones" and "Dreamline" off your list. I love that album, but those songs have been played on every tour since the "Roll the Bones" tour and I think it's time to give them a rest. "Bravado" and "Ghost of a Chance" would rock.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Wow someone actually wants to hear them play Dog Years?
LOL!

I love this band, have most of their stuff, think the DVD sounds great, and have seen them a few times, but Dog Years?

What were they thinking?

BTW, I posted this under the DVD review thread, but there is a brief review with Alex in S&V. He is not keen at all on mixing any of their catalog in 5.1.

Bummer, if that holds true.

BGL

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
When I saw them in Hartford in June of 2002 they played Bravado and it was awesome.
Though I still think the coolest thing I saw them do was ALL of 2112 on the Test for Echo tour in 96. nothing like everyone doing the "HEY!" thing during Temples of the Syrinx.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Kid Gloves is a great song :)
I'd really like to hear some rarities live though, Different Strings, Red Lenses, The Weapon, Countdown, Chain Lightning, Presto, The Body Electric, The Weapon, songs of that nature. I'm sure during shows closer to the release of these songs these were played but my first Rush show wasn't untl the TFE tour in 96 (at the ripe old age of 15!). I considered myself extremely lucky to be able to see them opening night of the Vapor Trails tour in Hartford but I'll be absolutely amazed if I get the chance to see them a third time. I wasn't sure I'd ever get to see them live, being as young as I am, and now it looks like I'll be able to do so atleast three times.
Jay H,
Yeah i guess I could let Dog Years slip past, but the whole "chasing cars in doggie heaven" line makes me cringe. Oh well, nothing is worse than virtuality. Just a downright terrible Rush song IMO.

Zane Charron

Second Unit
Part of the reason I like to see Bravado and Ghost of a Chance live is because of the dynamics. They aren't all out rockers. They have a sonic openness (Bravado's verses, Ghost's choruses) that just sounds great live. It's a nice break from things like 2112 and Tom Sawyer, which are kinda bombastic throughout.

I've personally never cared for Dreamline too much. Pretty mediocre for a Rush song. And although Roll the Bones kinda typifies that early 90's Rush sound, thay HAVE played it alot.

I too would like to hear a lot of rarities, as Dave mentioned. Some of my favorite Rush songs are the 'B-sides'. But I understand that they have to balance 'casual' (AOR) fan desires, hardcore fan desires and their own.

But Time Stand Still would be a great closer, me thinks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks