What's new

Rush: "Snakes and Arrows" discussion (1 Viewer)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Kyle:

It is unfortunately probably a good idea not to get our hopes up unless and until there's explicit confirmation of high resolution aud. If it doesn't say high rez surround it probably isn't.

". . . includes these 13 new songs in hi-resolution audio, the entire album in 5.1 surround sound . . ." could definitely be read to mean, say, 16/48 stereo and lossy surround.

Please do drop in again if you see any specs somewhere.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thx, Kyle. I'm avoiding reading reviews for now. A quick skim of that one though reveals that the writer got the co-producer's name wrong.

Anywho, although it's on a different label (RCA), the Raskulinecz-produced One By One has 24-bit/96k stereo and surround tracks. Here's hoping he does the same or better for Snakes.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thx for that sell sheet PDF link, Kyle.

It's remarkable how it nicely includes so much info, except that which the arguably core audience for the "DVD-Album" wants to know: the rez specs of the aud tracks.

Nathan, to make explicit what already seems implicitly obvious by your not returning to substantiate the claim: unless and until I see some evidence to the contrary, I call b.s. on your claim that a VT remaster "was being held back until the release of the new album." I think we would be seeing promo info about that reissue right alongside S & A info were that true.

It's too bad it's apparently not true though--the absence of a VT remaster compared to every other Atlantic studio album is conspicuous in the "Also Available" discography section of the sell sheet.

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit
Paul, Google is an amazing thing. Enter "Vapor Trails Remaster," and it's a click away. :) No need to call b.s. on me so quickly in a world of such easily accessed information.

At http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/VTnews.htm#remaster

Now, you may doubt the veracity of this rumor. But at least I didn't make it up.

The news on the DVD-album has been some of the best news I've heard in a while. I'm really excited about this release!!!

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

The delay of the reissue's release is a fact. The reason(s) behind that delay is/are fansite rumor, which you then regurgitated as fact (despite the site explicitly stating that it is rumor).

You may think this is putting too fine a point on it, but given all the speculation, blue balls and disappointment in the past three years over everything from the VT remaster to Rush SA-CDs that never happened, I think it important to be precise and clear: rumor is NOT factual information.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
True high-rez audio or not, I'm just glad that it seems apparent at least we won't have the Vapor Trails debacle this time.

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit
Very good point, Scott. I was thinking the same thing. At the very least, they *appear* to have made SQ a priority again.

Paul, I'm willing to allow the rumor to work its magic with me. I read it as hopeful, rather than a reason to anticipate dissapointment. The rumor part is only about the release date. "What is confirmed is that the album has been remastered . . . "

You might think that's flimsy, but I've been reading that particular site for a long while, and I've never read anything that turned out to be unreliable that I can remember. Either way, I don't mind getting my hopes up, even if they're false. It appears we differ in this.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
If the "DVD-Album" included DVD-A or was a DualDisc, then the press release would probably say so. I expect that, technically speaking, it's just a regular DVD.

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
I agree. I think it may have a 24/96 stereo track, but no dvd-audio. The 5.1 mix will be dolby digital only.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
24/96 (stereo) resolution (which is greater than I think can be put in the audio section of the "DVD-Video" side of a DVD) would make it like one of those Classic Records "Digital Audio Discs": it's basically a DVD-A in every way but name because of marketing/spec reasons.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Also, I don't have any of the Deluxe Editions in front of me at work but didn't Warner put "Advanced Resolution" tracks on the DVD disc of the CD+DVD packages of Seal's Best 1991-2004 and R.E.M.'s Out Of Time and Monster, yet I don't think they say "DVD-Audio" on the package or disc. Could be wrong--will check at home unless someone has one of those releases handy.

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Paul,

LPCM in dvd-video can be 16 or 24 bits, and 48K or 96K sampling. You are right about the REM and Seal discs, I'm not sure they said dvd-audio, so we may get lucky. They can definetly put 24/96 on dvd-video, I think there are some Neil Young discs like this. Also, Eric Johnson's "Ah Via Musicom" and Queensryche's "Empire" have 24/96 tracks in the video portion of the disc.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thx for LPCM info, Kyle. That makes saying that this might be a "regular DVD" or "not DVD-Audio" all the more problematic: it could very well (hopefully) be what we think of as a DVD-Video disc with content usually associated with and playable on DVD-Audio players (namely, 24/96 stereo content). Another example of why it is called and best thought of as the Digital Versatile Disc.

Good reminder re Empire. I just put that (and Crowded House; I think this was a Capitol phenomena) in my Tosh HD DVD player (which is of course unfortunately not DVD-A compatible) for brief spins. Yup yup: those 24/96 stereo tracks play just fine; the player just doesn't show me the surround mix in the menu.

This is IMO all the more reason for this "DVD-Album" to AT LEAST give us 24/96 stereo in addition to maybe lossy surround dang it.

I also stand corrected on the "Deluxe" Seal Best (and his 1991 debut): although they were neither packaged nor marketed like DVD-As, they do both have a small DVD-A logo on the back, right next to the logos for the label, "NTSC," DD, Region 1, etc. The front just says "5.1 Surround Sound Music."

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
The only bad thing about 24/96 in the dvd-video side is MLP cannot be used to compress the data, so it takes up more room. If the stereo track were in the dvd-audio side, MLP could be used. MLP must be used on on 5.1 dvd-audio tracks above 24/48 (if I remember correctly), to keep the data rate at or below dvd specs.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Just a quickie off-topic note: last summer, EJ said he was remixing that album himself after Capitol did such a horrible job on it* in 2002 and quickly recalled it :frowning: but never gave a date for its release. I've owned the CD version for years and still like to listen to it but knowing EJ's reputation for perfection, the surround remix - if it ever comes out at all - could take a long time coming to a music store near you.

* I owned it myself for a week and can verify this

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
It was my understanding Capitol was refusing to let him reissue it and that's why years have passed with no further release activity on this. IIRC he asked people to write Cap to complain. There's a whole 'nother thread about this somewhere, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks