What's new

Rush Concerts on DVD coming in 2002 (1 Viewer)

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
This evening I was able to watch and listen to the entire ESL presentation. Overall, pretty good (except what I already mentioned in a previous post about the image quality). I found that if I turned the sharpness down almost completely, it softened the picture enough to hide much of the noticeable video noise and grain. However, in the audio realm, I found something surprisingly different about the audio at the end of the show:
In the "Finale" portion, "Attention all planets of the solar federation! Attention all planets of the solar federation! Attention all planets of the solar federation! We have assumed control... we have assumed control" is barely, and mysteriously, inaudible. Strange. Correct me if I'm wrong all you owners of ESL on VHS: wasn't that quite audible on the original?

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
Well, I finally got a chance to spin a few tracks off each DVD last night. I agree with what others have said about the video quality being poor. I have a 65" RPTV and it's almost unwatchable. While watching ESL, I kept wondering how Jimmy Page was able to make the footage on How The West Was Won look so great. The sound, on the other hand, is great. I heard details on GUP disk that I never heard on the LD or VHS tape. Overall I'm stoked these concerts are finally available on DVD, but I still can't believe it took them so long to put them out and with video this poor. Maybe someday remastered versions of the entire concerts will be available. Overall this collection gets a C-. The low price and decent audio save it from being an F.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
It is. I've heard all of the discs, and they're a significant improvement over even the remastered CD's. Geddy's vocals are particularly clear, and the overall DTS mix of all the shows do a great job of making 20 year old live recordings seem fresh. The video is indeed wretched, though, and it's clear that not a lot of care was involved in their transfers. But at least the sound is excellent.

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I've been enjoying the concerts. I agree that the DTS kicks ass. I can live with the graininess on my 40" mitsubishi tube. Doesn't look that bad to me.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I guess they didn't go back to the original film elements for ESL then, just re-mastered an old 3/4 in. tape. Shame.

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
I don't think they have the original film elements for any of these shows. It has been mentioned some extra footage was found for GUP, but it wasn't included in the release.

Gwon Chang

Stunt Coordinator
Someone clue me in here. I've seen many of you pan the video (agreed) yet praise the audio (huh??). Perhaps it's my setup. If I listen in stereo, it sounds OK. Everything is fed through my center channel with some sub stuff thrown in to round things out. When I switch to DD or DTS, I get Geddy WAY UP FRONT in the center channel and pretty much lose everything else.

In other words, the bass, drums, guitar, everything is waaaay quiet while Geddy sounds like he's been re-recorded. I cannot watch these videos on DD or DTS because his voice is so up front it's distracting.

To those who are having fantastic DTS results, you're doing nothing different than what you'd do when watching a DTS movie, correct?

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
Maybe your center channel speaker's turned up too loud...on my system it sounds good btw.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
Brian Magnuson said:
Yes, always narrated. I always thought ESL kind of short-changed itself with the video release considering the audio release was so good. But back then releasing a full-length concert on home video was unheard of and I guess they were going for a documentary kind of a feel vs. the concert experience.
ESL was originally a Canadian TV special. Perhaps that explains the narration and length.

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
I think ESL was shot on video, not film, so that's why it looks so bad. I'm not sure about GUP. ASOH was filmed, I think. It should look good in high-def.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I'm talking about R30 which, based upon Lamoreaux' comments and the fact that it was shot HD, has a much higher likelihood of being released on Blu-ray and/or HD DVD.

I got a reply to my Fogo e-mail, unfortunately not proferring any more detail than to state that there are no confirmed plans for the HD release but that it is "something that will be done at some point."

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit
I hope the eventual DVD will have the entire set. I don't care how long it takes as long as they do it right. I've got enough Rush DVDs to keep me happy for now. (My poor wife is still waiting for the 1st DVD of her favorite band--Tool--so I can't complain).

Does anyone know about a DVD for this tour? Has anyone seen this tour yet? I just got my tickets for the Sept. 1 Cincinnati show. I'm taking both my sons (14 and 6). I haven't missed a tour since 1989, but I can't help feeling this will be the best one yet. I've been spoiling myself like crazy on the Youtube videos, and the band sounds amazing. Geddy's voice is better than ever. The new stuff is fantastic.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
I've seen them 3 times this tour - at the Hollywood Bowl, Irvine and Vegas. They didn't suck. :) Rumors abound that the MSG show will be filmed. I'm sure we'll get a DVD out of this tour somewhere down the road.

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit
Aaron Silverman said:
There are a bunch of Tool DVDs, but no concert films unfortunately.
Yeah, we have those. I should have been more specific.
Nice rumor about the MSG show! But you've got to give us more than "they didn't suck." Come on! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks