What's new

Rush Concerts on DVD coming in 2002 (1 Viewer)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Right on.

"In their own image/The world is fashioned/No wonder they don't understand"

Know what would really gimme a hard on? A good 5.1 mix of Permanent Waves released on DVD-A or SA-CD.

-p

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle

There were several older albums listed as upcoming SACDs, including 2112 with a 5.1 mix. The band decided they didn't want to remix all the albums into 5.1 and felt that the cd remasteres were good enough and decided not to pursue SACD releases.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Yes Kyle thanks, I'm quite familiar with that odd history of catalog title SA-CDs (PW was not one of them) having been announced and then canceled. It was a shameful tease. I'm not quite sure how that could happen--maybe UMG tried to do it without the band's permission and then the band put the kabosh on it.

It's yet another technology I wish the band had embraced more readily, a la Metallica.

-p

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit
I read on the Power Windows fan site that there is definitely a remaster for Vapor Trails, but that they are going to wait until the next album is released to give us that one, since there are still plenty of original Vapor Trails CDs in stock.

Also, I KNOW there is footage from the Test for Echo tour, because I've seen a video of Closer to the Heart with audio from the live CD and footage from three different decades, including the 90's T4E tour. So hopefully we can have that DVD as well, since it is the only live recording of 2112 in its entirety.

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
I KNOW there is footage from the Test for Echo tour
The band didn't feel the footage was good enough to put out. Many fans have been salivating for that footage since the T4E tour. I think originally, the dvd was going to be released with or at the same time as the live album. Maybe some of it will surface as a dvd extra or something of that nature.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
From what I heard, there was a problem syncing the audio and the video that couldn't be fixed acceptably for a DVD release, which is why it was scrapped.

Jason

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Trying to keep this thread alive and well.
Found this at the usual site (powerwindows):
Well, Paul, it looks like you might get your SACD of Permanent Waves.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thx, Brett.

The concern now re SACD is the imminence of high definition DVD (namely Blu-ray): are any hardware manufacturers besides Sony and Philips--if even those two--going to include SACD playback capability in their high def DVD players. If not, the decline of the number of players with SACD playback capability is going to track with the rise of high def DVD . . .

-p

Zane Charron

Second Unit
I think this is the set that diehard Rush fans have been waiting on for all these years. I was wishing for a 4 CD boxed set with extra tracks, live and unreleased stuff, but this is even better. Bring it on.

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
While I would have preferred to have the entire concert with the missing 8 songs, if the quality is great I won't complain. I hope SRO is able to restore some missing songs to ESL and GUP dvds. That would be very nice.

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7000499636
Exclusive: Producer Sheds Light On Working With Rock Band Rush
October 12, 2005 8:04 p.m. EST
Douglas Maher - All Headline News Staff Reporter
Montreal, Canada (AHN) - Rush's producer and director Pierre Lamoureux sheds light on the upcoming "R:30 - Rush Live In Frankfurt, Germany" DVD package that is set to hit stores November 22.
Lamoureux is responsible for the huge undertaking of not only the "R:30" package but the DVD releases of "Exit Stage Left...," "Grace Under Pressure Tour - 1984," and "A Show of Hands" all of which are being released in 2006 in both a special box set and individual package.
"There is a lot of work that has gone on with the band over the last year," Lamoureux says in an exclusive with All Headline News.
"We have the entire Rush catalog in our hands. Not just the studio material they have released on albums, but every single demo or song that has not been released as well. We are setting Rush up for the future for releases that will be able to have 5.1 audio mixes along with SACD formats down the road."
The news is obviously going to make every Rush fan shine from Bangkok to Lakeside Park in Canada, but Lamoureux insists it only gets better from here.
"For obvious reasons I can't get into every detail about the band's business and future but I can assure you the concerts that we are re-releasing are not straight VHS to DVD transfers. These are color touched, remastered, and re-mixed in 5.1 stereo and we are deciding which extras we will add to each in the coming days. We are basically done with everything except the extras and that decision lies with the band.
Lamoureux reveals that the "Grace Under Pressure" DVD in particular might hold special surprises for fans down the road; some suprises, never thought to be possible.
"We found the footage for 'Grace'," Lamoureux says.
"The concerts will be released in the same format as the original releases including track listing and running time of the actual concert. But down the road when Blue-Ray technology becomes more popular and we are able to extend things out to levels beyond where we are at currently...we can then go back and release the found footage that was not on the original release."
Lamoureux adds that the frustration of the job has been finding the footage to begin with. As a matter of fact, he is asking for any information leading to people who worked on the crews of the filming of "Exit Stage Left..." and "A Show of Hands" to please come forward and contact them.
"We know someone has the film from those shows... we just need to get them at this point. It could be someone who worked with a former producer, a film crew member... anyone at this point. We didn't expect to find the 'Grace Under Pressure stuff... and we did.'"
Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson and engineer Rick Chycki did the engineering for the 2-audio CDs for the deluxe package of "R:30" and Lamoureux's brother Francois did the audio chores for the recording of the concert itself.
"The band decided they wanted to do this half-way through the tour so it was a matter of getting things going quickly and trying to find venues," Lamoureux adds. "I approached the band's management SRO about filming Rush on their anniversary tour and they turned me down being so close to their "Rush In Rio" project. As the tour went on they decided it would be a great idea but it was too late to film Radio City Music Hall and Red Rocks although we talked about it, we just couldn't get crews into the cities at the right time."
Lamoureux admits that the DVD was almost filmed in Montreal but the band opted for Germany instead.
"It was a great crowd in Frankfurt and the DVD will display that. It was originally going to be even shorter (R:30 is not a complete concert) but the band decided they wanted to add even more material from the concert because it all came out so well, thankfully we didn't have a glitch the entire night... so that material will probably be used somewhere down the road."
Stating the fact that a Rush show is not an easy task (clocking in at over 3 hours and 15 minutes) Lamoureux says,"I have never worked so hard in my life, it was like working two concerts in one night..a double shift, but watching the guys in Rush perform is just an amazing experience."
So the label found extra footage for GUP video, but they aren't adding it to the dvd release, they're waiting for Blu-Ray. They have not found any extra footage of ESL and ASOH. ASOH is nearly the entire show, so I wounldn't expect more footage to show up. Why are they waiting to add the extra footage to GUP? It's only 60min now, why wait?
Also, there is a preview up at rush.com of the new R30 dvd.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thx, Kyle.
Lamoureux mentions what they may do "somewhere down the road" several times. I'm very happy to hear that they're considering hi def (re-)releases of this material in the future. But, on top of the concerns I mention in my post #69, the future is sort of amorphous as to how/if Blu-ray will be solely victorious in that "war" and whether it will achieve significant enough market penetration to justify niche music title releases.
I guess I'm agreeing with you, Kyle: if they've located footage and have prepped it for release, why not put it out now on (a) multiple-disc standard def release(s).
Also Brett, I tend to think that the SACD reference is to the possible future release of live material already mixed for 5.1 on SACD as a companion release to a DVD-V. If Ged's past posture on the subject is any indication, I'm not holding my breath for hi rez 5.1 re-releases of Rush studio albums.
-p

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thx, Kirk.

Of course it's largely speculation, but the absence of separate CD release for this is telling IMO. It augurs for exactly what I mention above: a separate 5.1 SACD release "somewhere down the road." Perhaps they don't want a separately available CD on shelves confusing some consumers/(possibly reducing SACD sales?). I wish they'd just do the SACD right now, dammit.

And wow it sure would be impressive if this turned up on Universal's first BD slate! (I can dream, can't I?)

-p

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
I think they're releasing the cds with the deluxe version of the dvd because they released a live album with their last tour and they wanted to do something different than that.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Yeah that's the last we all heard, I believe via Lamoreaux. Spring is right now as far as I'm concerned.

I'm looking for new word of actual street dates or word of delay.

Or word of Blu-ray releases. Ha!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks