What's new

"Rumor has it..." HD-DVD cropped to fit 16x9 HDTV & DVD has OAR 1.85:1??? (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Every 1.85x1 Universal title I reviewed while at HTF had black bands. They were small, but they were there. The Hitchcock box. The Brat Pack Collection. The Big Lebowski.

Overscan is not really an issue here, as Mark-P pointed out. The only way I saw it was to play back on the computer via DVD-ROM. My RPTV has around 4 percent overscan, so I can not detect the bands when watching away from the computer. I wouldn't worry about the overscan.

- Steve

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Geez, it's not as if we're confronted with an abomination like HBO-HD's expandovision treatment of 2:35 movies.

Give it a rest, already.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Take a deep breath, people.

Aspect ratio was 1.78x1 on the DVD side, not 1.85x1 as marked on the package. I have no way of measuring aspect on the HD side, but there was no unusual cropping evident.

Case closed.

- Steve

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Thanks Steve, I appreciate you taking the time to measure that.

Interesting:rolleyes. Because of your post, I wanted to check why I saw the black bar when playing the DVD side on my 110" screen:confused:. Discovered that when using an Oppo OPDV971 H DVD player with SDI output, I get about a quarter inch black line (carefully measured it this time), when playing 1.78:1 DVD's.

(Both the Oppo's (SDI out) and Toshiba HD -A1's (HDMI out) go through a DVDO iScan VP30 high-definition video processor and then only one HDMI-to->DVI signal to my Marantz VP-12S2 projector.)

When playing the DVD side on the Toshiba A1, the 16x9 screen was also filled, so apparently the Oppo player has a slight underscan, at least with the SDI output.

Thanks again,

Paul

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I'm not even sure I could see a .25-inch line on a 110-inch screen...I may need to get my eyes replaced. :)

- Steve

Chris Moreau

Stunt Coordinator
It has been common for studios to slightly open the matte for 1.85:1 films to exactly fit the 1.78:1 ratio of 16x9 displays in their DVD transfers. Unlike pan & scanned scope films, this does not really bother me.

First of all, with the overscan found in most displays, no visual difference will be seen -- and even if your overscan is zero, there is only a tiny, tiny bit more information at the top and bottom of the screen than in a strict 1.85:1 matte.

Secondly, the difference in aspect ratios of any given film will vary much more than this from one projected cinema presentation to that of another establishment. Most folks would be quite amazed as to just how much these do vary!

So, this is certainly not something that will be causing me any sleep loss!

With that said, I'll admit that when HBO-HD crops 2.35:1 films to 1.78:1, I see red!!!

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I refuse to subscribe to HBO-HD for that very reason. Such a travesty should not be rewarded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks