"Rules of the Game" on Turner Classic Movies!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Crawford, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Jean Renoir's 1939 classic film will be on Turner Classic Movies this coming Saturday morning. Maybe, Renoir's best film.
    • "Rules of the Game" on TCM, April 20th @ 2:00 a.m. ET
    Also, "Sunrise" will be on Fox Movie Channel this Friday at the following time.
    • "Sunrise" on FMC, April 19th @ 10:00 a.m. ET
    Crawdaddy

2. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Woo-hoo! I've so been wanting to watch this. Going to go set the VCR now.

(BTW, for Rules of the Game, you have the date as May. You do mean April, right?)

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Ike,

Thanks for the heads up.

Crawdaddy

4. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

BTW, The Rules of the Game is available on an excellent SE DVD with English subtitles in R2-France.
    For more info, click here.
    Ted

5. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

6. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    God Damn it to Hell!!! I lost power for about half an hour last night and it botched my recording of this [​IMG]

7. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i didnt get to watch this but maybe someone can tell us what it was about and why it's a good movie and recieved this heads up.

8. Jim Rankin

Jim Rankin Stunt Coordinator

Mr. Crawford thank you very much for the heads up on this film. I had never seen a film by Renoir, and I had always been intrigued by The Grand Illusion. I enjoyed The Rules of the Gamevery much and will be looking to add this one when Criterion releases it (I noticed the Janus films symbol at the beginning of the movie) - in the meantime I will be looking to add TGI to my collection.
    Anytime you want to post a heads up please do. I am curious about classic films, and realize not all of them would suit my tastes - it's a great way to get an idea of their work.

9. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    i'd love to hear anyone talk about this movie. not just that it's a good movie.[​IMG]

10. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

11. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    well that thread is about 15 pages long but this one seemed to be specific dealing with this movie. but i guess no one wants to offer up what this movie is about. i dont like relying on wwwimdb.com for opimions on movies.

12. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Ack... I was out-of-town last weekend! Is it being replayed?

13. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Tony, you could press "Ctrl + F" and type in "Rules of the Game" to find it quickly on each page.

Rich, no.

~T

14. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Damn. Serves me right for going vacationing in FLA.

15. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    so.. in a thread about a specific movie no one will offer any specific thoughts about the movie.
    only wow what a great movie or i wish i could have seen that movie.
    o well i tried. pretty pointless thread at this point since no one will talk about it and it was already on TCM.
    I give.
    [​IMG]

16. Jim Rankin

Jim Rankin Stunt Coordinator

Tony, It was my first viewing of the film, and I normally don't like to give a synopsis based on one viewing but here goes. The film is set in pre-WWII France, a French aviator has just crossed the ocean and to his disappointment the woman he loves isn't there to greet him (who by the way is already married to a wealthy aristocrat). Through a mutual friend of theirs he finaggles his way into an invitation to a party at a chateau in the countryside at which he will have an opportunity to make advances on her. Her husband who is quite wealthy, is also quite a womanizer as we find out, and really neither of them are happy in the marriage, but because of society rules they stay in it. What happens over the weekend is really a comedy of errors, there are two 3-way love triangles going on - at different class levels and how they are handled by the parties involved I thought was an indictment on class in society. There are several other things that go on there as well, foreshadowing of war in Europe,and the Jews involvement in the war are eerily hinted at as well. As far as the final act goes you just have to see it yourself.
    This film has been critically lauded as one of the greats by Jean Renoir. I'm sure my laymans description of this film doesn't do it justice, but like I said it was my first viewing. I have just a casual involvement with foreign films, but I found this one to be very accessible, and one that definitely could find hidden nuances in it every time you watch it. This is the first film I have seen by Jean Renoir, and I am ordering The Grand Illusion without hesitation. It is just a matter of time before Criterion releases The Rules of the Game - in which I will definitely snap this film up. I hope this helps - Regards, Jim.

17. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Jesus, Tony, we're not your personal film instructors. Try to lay off a bit on the resentment and derison and use your browser for something useful. A tiny bit of effort will yield a wealth of information - just Google, my friend! [​IMG]
    (As always, beware of spoilers.)
    Go here (spoilers):
    http://www.tvguide.com/movies/databa...e.asp?MI=18744
    And here:
    http://www.filethirteen.com/reviews/...rulesofthe.htm
    And here:
    http://www.film.u-net.com/Movies/Reviews/Regle_jeu.html
    ...and that should be a good start.