RTV (Retro TV Cable Channel) ending?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by WendyCR, Jun 27, 2012.

1. WendyCR

WendyCR Stunt Coordinator

Putting it in the form of a question since, perhaps, it is dependent on cable provider and not the channel itself, but I was watching RTV (Cold Case Files addict) and a commercial came on stating RTV would transition to the Live Well Network on July 1st.
    Looks like another cooking/lifestyle channel. Sigh.
    In any case, my provider is Time Warner. I was curious if anyone else with RTV got such a notice. So I'm not sure if the channel is just ending altogether or if it is by carrier. If it IS ending, I feel for Retro TV fans. At least there is still MeTV, I guess.

2. Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes
    Show them your appreciation by doing what I did 5 1/2 years ago, CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION! :f

3. Statskeeper

Statskeeper Second Unit

RTV isn't going away, and this isn't the cable provider's fault. You're probably watching a subchannel of an over-the-air station that is changing affiliations. In fact RTV is adding "The Real McCoys" and "The Joey Bishop Show" sometime soon.
    I have to agree with you - I would much prefer RTV to LiveWell Network. Hopefully another station in your market picks up RTV, but that won't guarantee it will appear on cable (subchannels are not automatically covered under must-carry rules).

4. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    I agree with Maureen. RTV may be going away in your area, but it is because your local affiliate has decided to go with LiveWell, a truly useless, IMHO, waste of frequency space. As far as I've been able to tell, LiveWell is about the equivalent of "Daytime TV all the time".

RTV had a rough patch where their bread and butter shows were taken away from them, basically by both Antenna TV and MeTV as those networks locked up long-term deals for programming out from under RTV's nose. RTV has been sort of limping along with a slate of lesser shows for about a year or so, but it sounds like things will start improving.

RTV was removed from where I live in both Tampa and Orlando, each city signing with MeTV and Antenna TV instead. Then a couple of months ago our local CBS affiliate signed on with RTV, replacing LATV, a Spanish channel. So right now, down here, I'm getting all three of the retro networks in one form or another. Some are coming through cable, others are strictly over the air.

Good news about the JOEY BISHOP SHOW. I haven't seen any of those in decades.

Harry

5. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    Wendy, I have that channel here in Chicago on 7.2 and 7.3, an ABC affiliate and it is just full of reruns and some paid programming and just utter junk and RTV is way better than LWN, but we get RTV on a channel that barely comes in due to all the problems the station management stiil has on 24.1, where it sometimes airs here. LWN was created by Emily Barr, who was the former president of Channel 7 here in town who just left here recently.

6. WendyCR

WendyCR Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I Googled and I guess RTV being dropped has happened in other areas for LWN, too. But it sounds like it is a regional thing since it sounds like RTN is adding programming.

7. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    WLS isn't just an ABC affiliate, it's one of the network's Owned & Operated Stations.
    Live Well Network is owned by ABC, and it's not only on sub-channels of the O&O stations, but ABC Affiliate stations have been adding the channel in most markets.
    RTV is still alive,and well with 89 affiliates covering 46% of the country. Down, but far from out.

8. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    The Joy Bishop Show's second season is currently available on DVD as we speak.

9. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    Denny, the network is just awful (LWN, that is) and here in town, they have BOTH an HD and SD feed going through and it contains worthless programming in the process. As for RTV, here in town, the station owners can't seem to figure out what they want to do with this station as it goes in and out and in and out and it's just frustrating, but yes, we have ME-TV, ME-TOO and Antenna TV to offset RTV.

10. Albert71292

Albert71292 Stunt Coordinator

Albert Sims
    RTV was still on analog channel 17 here (West Monroe,LA) until late last week, when they finally switched to a digital signal. It's an over-the-air low powered station owned by one of the larger Baptist churches in the area. They break into RTVs shows a few times a week for church broadcasts and local high school football team broadcasts.
    Most of the day however is dedicated to RTV's actual schedule.
    Now if my area would just get AntennaTV and MeTV, I'd be a happy camper!

11. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

I hope mine doesn't. They just added AntennaTV earlier this year (replacing a 24/7 weather channel with it). Thankfully, they're not an O&O, so hopefully, they won't feel compelled to add it. Guess it depends on how well it does against MeTV (which our NBC affiliated added around the same time).

12. sessal

sessal Auditioning

RTV was carried as a sub channel of WJLA-TV here in the Washington, D.C. market. It was replaced by the idiotic Live Well Network back on July 1.
    All we have is Antenna TV because MeTV is not carried in this market.

13. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    If you can also receive Baltimore channels (and many in the DC area can), WBAL, channel 11 is supposed to have a MeTV affiliate. Try using an antenna to get it, assuming you're not too far south.

Harry

14. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    RTV is carried here in Chicago on a channel nobody can get reception on which is WPVN-TV 24.1 but heard rumors that this station is about to be shut down as they're losing most of their programming to either ME-TV or Antenna TV.

15. Statskeeper

Statskeeper Second Unit

RTV may be moving back to WMFP 62.1 in Boston. They currently carry ME-TV on 62.1 and RTV on 62.2, but ME-TV is moving to WCVB 5.2 this fall (in part of ME's deal with Hearst). WMFP has not made an announcement yet about what they're going to do. The closest Antenna affiliate is in Hartford, so they would be a good fit.

16. Albert71292

Albert71292 Stunt Coordinator

Albert Sims
    The company that owns RTV, Luken Communications, is supposedly teaming with Jim Owens Entertainment, to bring back "The Nashville Network" as a digital broadcast subchannel around the first of October...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luken_Communications
    http://watchtnn.com/
    http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/tnn-the-nashville-network-to-return-summer-of-2012

17. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
  18. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    Is that official then? I only heard rumors to the contrary but if it is true, that would be so cool! I miss TNN and hoping they can find a better home for it in Chicago than what that affiliate is airing on now.

19. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    Wow, I Had Not Heard About TNN Coming Back. That's Great! I Could Never Understand Why They Went Off the Air with Country Music So Popular These Days. I'm Hoping They Will Be Using A Lot of Their Old Archive of Shows as well as some of their better reruns acquisitions such as Barbara Mandrell & The Mandrell Sisters. Would Love for this network to come back in all of it's glory.
    Back to the Original Subject of this Thread, We Were Getting RTV from Memphis, TN Here For a While. I Was Not Overly Impressed By the Channel but I assume they had already had their programming gutted. They'll have to go a long way to top ME-TV & Antenna TV's lineups.

20. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    No rumors, they've got the website, they have been promoting TNN on their other networks (RTV,My Family,Tuff) and lining up affiliates,although none have been announced yet.