RT 2600 -> HTR 5940 better?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Wiznaz, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Wiznaz

Wiznaz Auditioning

I was a not so happy owner of the RCA RT 2600 HTIB set up as the optical jack didnt work on the back of the system. I carried on for about 2 years with it as I was a college student and it got me by with the R+W component audio. Luckily when i purchased it from radio shack, I bought the 4 year warranty with it. So what happened was I brought it in to get repaired (and to fix the recall on it also) and they couldnt seem to fix it. They said for me to return to the store I bought it from and theyd replace it with something comparable. So somehow it seems I made out on the deal considering they gave me a (MSRP $300) Yamaha HTR 5940 receiver. I'd have to re-use the RCA speakers and it looks I have to purchase a self-amped sub with a component cable rather than my old + and - RCA sub with built in amp in the receiver. I had originally upgraded the wires to 14 AWG if that makes any difference. But my question is this..did I get the better end of the deal? I assume the new receiver would make my system more upgradeable. I cant find any reviews on the system so any comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

The HTR5960 receiver is far superior to your old RT-2600. You definately got the better end of the deal!

HTR5960 has 6.1 channels rated at 0.06% THD, while the RCA unit has 5.1 channels rated at 0.09% THD (not very good). I don't believe the RCA receiver even has component inputs. The HTR5960 alone costs more than the RCA receiver including speakers and sub.

3. Wiznaz

Wiznaz Auditioning

I'm sorry I meant to type HTR-5940. I will fix the typo in the OP.