What's new

RPTV's speakers as center channel??? (1 Viewer)

Richard_E

Agent
Hi! I'm moving into a new house where my 57" Sony Widescreen TV just barely fits into a cabinet / cubby hole in the family room.

The problem is that there's no room on top of the TV for a center channel speaker.

Would it be possible to wire the center channel from my receiver TO my TV and use the built-in TV speakers as my center channel? Has anyone done this before?

Bob_Bo

Agent
How about mounting a center below the screen on a stand? Or even on the floor in front of the TV, slightly angled up toward the listening area?

Either of these options would be better than using the TV audio for the center. Using the TV as a center means the center signal has to run through the TV audio circuits and who knows what they'll do to it. You also won't have any SPL control over the center through the TV and timbre matching is going to be way off.

Richard_E

Agent
There is no room for a stand under the TV to put the center speaker in. And I don't want to mount it on the floor :confused: as the TV is going into a cabinet with doors that close in front of it. So under the TV is not an option.

Right above the TV are some cabinets that are about 3 feet tall. Then above the cabinets, there is open space. Would it sound bad to mount a center channel speaker on top of that cabinet, 3 feet above the TV, and just aim it down towards the listening area?? I could probably do that.

Keep in mind - this isn't my "home theater", but rather is my family room, in which I want some semi-decent surround sound for watching movies.

Thanks in advance.

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
Mount it on top of the cabinet and see how it sounds. If it makes you happy then everything is fine. What you might want to do is go out and get the Radio Shack SPL meter and calibrate your system. The meter is $40 to $50 and really helps get everything balanced right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks