What's new

RPTV's and 720p? (1 Viewer)

Dan M~

Second Unit
I'm in the market for a RPTV. Price under $3K. At this time I am spending my money on DVD's instead of digital cable or sat. So I need a TV that does a good job with 720p/i DVD input and upconverts standard cable for the large display. I will do HDTV in the future. Looking for recomendations, what do you suggest I look at?

Thanks,

Dan M`

John S

Senior HTF Member
I would assume you meant 480p???
To my knowledge that is the best DVD can do right now.

And to really get the most out of that, you need a higher end player with newer higher end chip sets in them.

With that said, my new Philips does a more than reasonable job creating 480p from 480i on a cheap DVD player. But alas when comparing to real HDTV, it does not really compete.

I am probably going to upgrade my DVD player.

Relatively few HDTV models handle 720p natively as of right now.

Tim_R_H

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,

The Hitachis handle 720p. As John said that does nothing for you as far as DVDs are concerned because those are 480i/p. If you are an Xbox player though you might want 720p capability for some of the xbox games that support it.

You can get as large as the 65" S500 Series Hitachis within your budget. If your wanting the built in tuner you may have to consider the 57".

Dan M~

Second Unit
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I was mistaken when I wrote 720p/i. I have a Sony DVP-NS755V player. It outputs interlaced or progressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks