RPTV Recommendation

Discussion in 'Displays' started by FrantzM, Apr 16, 2003.

1. FrantzM

FrantzM Stunt Coordinator

Hi

I live outside the USA. We have NTSC and 120/60 HZ VAC. I have DSS and C-Band available. I am very interested in HDTV.
    Sources for HDTV are JVC D-VHS Deck Satellite HDTV, C-Band
    I do watch a lot of DVD
    Must be HDTV
    Must have reasonable numbers of input
    Audio Quallity NOT IMPORTANT
    I will tweak this set so I want a set with a good "tweak history", links, Web sites, etc
    It must be reliable; it will be purchased in the USA and shipped here, returning it is an expensive option.
    Must be 16:9
    At least 61" inch Diagonal, 65 inches preferred
    Must have DVI-DHCP
    Picture Quality is THE important factor, Bells and whistles such as Integrated HDTV Tuners, PIP not that important
    I have heard good things about Mitsubishi, Hitachi and Toshiba. I have found good deals on RCA Sceniums; it does not seem that they are much loved on this forum? Why?

Many questions I hope that will elicit many replies.

Frantz
    Port-au-Prince, Haiti

2. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I putin a vote for the Toshiba..I've had 2, the present one, so far so good, lots of consumer tweaking available for this brand. (FYI, the first one was sold to upgrade to a WS set)Mits and Hitachi are both putting out great sets. My advise is research some more, then get down to them stores and look at them. If u'r in a hurry and want to buy now, get one from a place where they have a liberal return policy.

3. FrantzM

FrantzM Stunt Coordinator

Eric

I do not live in the USA. So going to the stores is a difficult proposition. At any rate I find it difficult to judge with any objectivity a component in one of the usual retail stores, they are set to produce the most light and the most absurd colors. I understand margins are low on RPTV , thus High-End stores do only carry the most expensive ones. I am on the market for a "regular" RPTV, then it will be tweaked and calibrated to produce the best picture it can, patiently and of course with the help of the collective.

Frantz