What's new

RPTV burn in w/ console gaming (1 Viewer)

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
I rented a PS2 for the hell of it this weekend, and am enjoying it quite a bit. GT3 is awesome! Now, my question. In order to properly view this, I had to turn up the contrast and brightness from my normal viewing settings. I am now concerned about burn in from the static images that seem present in almost all games. Should I be concerned? I only seem to play for an hour or two at one time. Is this sufficient time to cause and sort of damage?
Does anyone know if these new consoles give you the option of turning off these static images? It really would be nice to play GT3 without the speedo, etc.
Thanks,
Stacey
------------------
inspector.gif

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If your settings aren't ultra high and you don't pause the game for too long, you should be fine. I have played games on many a TV for up to 5 hours straight (what can I say? I love RPGs) and nothing has burned in. Played GT3 on two separate TVs for at least 2 hours apiece at several different times throughout a week and nothing burned in.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I've been playing on a 60" Proscan for about 5 years now with no burn in.
BUT...DO NOT crank the contrast/brightness up real high. You're asking for problems.
If you need to turn it up that high, you're either playing in a room that's too well lit or, the tv needs to be calibrated. Luckily, I have mine downstairs and, it's usually very dark when I play so, when I calibrated my tv, it needed very little by way of contrast and brightness.
------------------
"...it is an excellent day for an exorcism".

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
You should really be careful with this. Be mindful of playing games with 'status bars' such as fighting games. Often, games have elements on screen which do not move at all -like the score or status meters etc... and even with your contrast setting turned way down, there is still a danger of burn-in. You may want to stick with a tube set for long stretches of video gaming.
[Edited last by Sean Oneil on August 19, 2001 at 05:20 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks