What's new

RP91 / Yamaha RX-V3000 DSP Observation (1 Viewer)

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
Last night we got the first chance to set-up and experiment a bit with the new Panasonic RP91. One of the first things I tried was the "remaster" modes on CD audio. We had been accustomed to using one of the Jazz DSP's on the Yamaha when listening to music. What we found out was that the Yamaha either won't or can't do DSP's on 88 KHz material. (Some of you will say Praise the Lord!) The Yamaha display shows the input signal as 88.1 Hz and all output to the center and rear speakers stops. I didn't have time to try all the other DSP's to see if any of them worked. I did verify that bass management continues to work properly.
I'm not saying that this is bad thing, but it is a surprise. I can say that the sound was noticeably improved and noticeably warmer than from my old Yamaha CD changer. I didn't have time to A/B compare the sound from the Yamaha with and without the remaster. Will do that tonight and also try the other DSP modes if time permits.
------------------

DanG

Stunt Coordinator
Welcome to the club, apparently none of the Denon 3xxx to 5xxx series can understand 88.2kHz.
So I had to do my A/B comparisons using Analog mode only. On classical music with a 2 or 3 setting it makes no difference in the sound quality.
------------------
[Edited last by DanG on July 12, 2001 at 12:03 PM]

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
Not quite Dan. The Yamaha plays the 88.2 KHz material perfectly. It just can't do DSP's with it.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread