What's new

RP91, Integra DPS 7.2 or Elite DV37 (1 Viewer)

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Okay I've narrowed it down to these three players I hope.

The RP91, the Integra DPS7.2 and the Elite DV37

I do not have an HDTV monitor so the progressive scan features of these players will not be a factor.

Can you guys put these players in order. Reasons for your choice would be helpful as well. Your help is much appreciated. I need to buy soon.

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
I can't comment on the Onkyo. But I can say you can put the DV-37 right down to the bottom of the heap of almost all DVD players in existence. Way overpriced for less than mediocre video performance.

I own the RP-91 and can say with confidence that it is excellent. Perhaps not the absolute best machine out there, but bloody close.

----

Jeff

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
The only reason why I'm considering the DV37 despite the negative reviews here is because I've read positive reviews from magazines such as stereophile. You know the chroma bug and stuff like that, will I see that on my non progressive TV as well?

For some reason, all the audio/video stores that carry both the RP91 and the Elite player holds the Elite player in a higher regard. Perhaps they're just trying to sell me a more expensive player?

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Any more responses? I'm leaning towards the RP91 but I don't want to make the wrong choice.

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
I honestly think most people, including the stores that sell them, hold the DV-37 in higher regard because of its looks (it looks expensive) and it has the Elite name on it (must be good!).

The simple fact is that its time to look behind the facade. The truth is, this is a pretty downright terrible machine - for the price. The chroma bug is a function of the MPEG decoder - it has nothing to do with the progressive ability. So yes, the bug will be present on your interlaced display.

Having moved from the DV-37 to the RP-91, I can say the lack of chroma bug is a significant advantage. Not only is it visibly gone (always most noticeable in saturated reds), but the whole image seems clearer. It has been determined that the chroma bug is present everywhere on the screen, just only obviously visible in saturated red areas. But it is quite clearly obscuring detail, because the player without the bug shows so much more resolution and detail.

Also, if you're set is a 4:3 set, be warned of another anomaly. I noticed severe banding in saturated reds on 4:3 sets. It seems to be a function of the downconversion of the unit.

Overall, the unit is a huge disappointment and not worth the money they charge for it. Pioneer needs to stop shrouding these units in glossy boxes and start paying attention to their real performance.

----

Jeff

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
I'm close to buying the RP91. What colour should I get?

Anyone want to vote for the Integra before I go with the RP91?

PaulKH

Second Unit
Howard, I was in a similar boat to you... I just 'cracked' and ordered the RP91. It shipped today, so hopefully early next week I can check it all out.

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Howard:
Bite the bullet and get the RP-91. ;) You won't regret it.
As far as colour, it really comes down to personal preference. The champagne is a beautiful unit, but if the rest of your gear is black it might just stand out more than anything. The black looks great too, so you should be ok either way, depending on your preference.
----
Jeff

Matt Taylor

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

I think you're being a little hard on the DV-37. I have one and I am extremely happy with it. I am aware it has the chroma bug, but fortunately I am too ignorant to see it. I have had it almost a year and it looks great on my Pioneer SD-532-HD5. I have always been an Elite lover, and I went from the DVL-91 to the DV-37. I think the picture beats the tar out of the Toshiba 4700 I just hooked up to my parents' Toshiba 57H81.

I understand a lot of it is personal preference, but I think the DV-37 is a great performer.

Matt

JaimeC

Grip
Howard,

I also recently purchased the Panny rp91. I hope to get it tomorrow or the next. I chose the black only because the rest of my gear is black. I too was in your shoes baby, and I'll tell u, I can't wait to hhok it up to see what all the hoopla is about. goodluck.

JaimeC

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
The RP-91 is great! I don't have an HDTV or progressive set yet, but the picture on my interlaced Trinitron is splendid! Plus, the DVD-Audio capability is cool to have. I figure the RP-91 will be a cornerstone component of my HT system for years to come.
I got it in champagne color. It does look classy, yet against all black components it does stand out...but it's supposed to match your expensive silver HDTV (ha ha, show me a money tree first) ;)
Best of luck with whatever DVD player choice you make.
Regards,
-JNS

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I remember at another forum reading that the Onkyo DV-757 (essentailly the DPS-7.2) was reviewed by a notable magazine, and its performance was reportedly top notch. It's not prog-scan, but offers impressive interlaced scan qualities. I believe it may have bass management for DVD-Audio too.

However, Given the opinions of the RP91, I'd take one and never look back!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I haven't responded to this thread before, because I have no experience with either the integra or dv37. However, since you're basically now considering the rp91, which I do own, let me just say that this is a great player and you won't be disappointed.

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Matt;
I think you're being a little hard on the DV-37. I have one and I am extremely happy with it. I am aware it has the chroma bug, but fortunately I am too ignorant to see it.
First, let me say that you're lucky if you're ignorant to the ways of the chroma bug! I wish I didn't know what it was either. It really is one of those things most people would rather not know about. :) Unfortunately, I do and so I have to work from there.
The problem I have with the DV-37 is that is simply does not perform anywhere near what its price suggests it should. Perhaps I shouldn't pick on it, as there are other offenders out there. But I don't think I'm being too hard on it. There are just too many "higher priced" players out there that come in a nice heavy, shiny package but at the end of the day sometimes perform worse than some budget models. If a manufacturer is going to produce a high-end design, they should take the time to create something truly worthy of the price tag they want to slap on it.
----
Jeff

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Ya thanks guys. All my gear are black so I think I'm gonna go with a black if it's available. I think I'll go check out the player tomorrow and possibly buy. A bit of negative response regarding the RP91 audio quality got me a little bit hesitant but I think what I will do is to go take a look, get a pricing and then decide.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
I have done more research on this issue and I think I got something here.

The reason why magazines such as Stereophile and stores hold the Elite player in such a high regard may be due to the fact that they only tested disks with exceptional encoding. I have no doubt in my mind that the DV37 is superior to the RP91 in terms of audio. With the DV37 playing DVDs with extremely good transfers, the video might be comparable or better than the RP91. The problem starts with DVDs that are not encoded as well. So perhaps the store people are giving their honest opinion.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Jagan,

Thanks for the feedback on the RP91's interlaced output! As I don't have an HDTV monitor yet, I'll have to use the RP91 in the interlaced mode for a while. I guess I took a gamble on it by not checking it out in interlaced before my purchase, but...

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
do other Pioneer dvd players (like the dv434) have the chroma bug? I ask because i often notice that saturated reds look blurry around the edges. I also think that while i've had relatively bug-free and versatile performance from it, that i see more compression artifacts with it than other players i've owned.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure if they do. But from what I know the current DVD players are the best Pioneer has made. I currently own an old DVL700. So ya time to upgrade.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Damn. My fav store does not carry RP91 or Panasonic for that matter. They do carry Denons though. Are Denon DVD players any good? If not I guess I'll have to gamble and buy stuff from another store. I was hoping to get a good price on the RP91 too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks