What's new

Rp-82? (1 Viewer)

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
I've just started my search for the right DVD player for my HT, which by the end of March will consist of a Sony HS-10 PJ onto a 106" diag screen and Denon 3803 reciever pushing a Klipsch 7.1 system w/SVS sub.

I don't have any of this yet except a lot of drywall dust and wires laying all over the place.:)

Anyway, what DVD player shall I commit to? I've read a LOT of great things about the RP-82, which can be had on ebay for about $300, which is interesting as retail was $229 when it was in production. I guess that says something!

I want good CD stereo and DVD-A performance too.

I also do not understand the buzz about bass management. Why do you need this when it is (I hope) handled in the reciever?

I have never owned a DVD player and would like to get this right as I'm spending a good piece of change on the rest of the system.

Thanks!

Gordon

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I went through months of searching and considered everything from the Panny RP-91 to the Denon 1600 and I ended up getting the RP-82. Turns out that all the fuss was correct.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
I also have recently acquired an RP82 and am very pleased.

With DVD-A or SACD due to copy restrictions (except for some proprietary connections - Pioneer Elite DVD to Pioneer Elite receiver for eg.) you must use the Multi-channel Analog outputs of the DVD player rather than the digital connection.

The fuss about bass management specifically is with that analog output. Generally the Multi-channel outputs of the units have no Bass Management and unless you get into 'higher end' receivers or separates, the Multi-channel inputs do not do bass management either. If you have small fronts and surrounds with a sub you are stuck trying to send a full range signal to small speakers. The other option is an Outlaw Audio ICBM external Bass Management system.

Hope that gives you a bit more info.

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
Thanks for your explanation of bass handling from DVDA, PaulT! Bummer. I'm going to use an outboard amp for my sub, so will have no sub control ouside of the receiver. I'll have a look at the outlaw ICBM thing. I guess that's something I'll have to deal with later (like TV and HDTV input to my PJ is on the back-burner too) since I do not want to go "high-end" with my reciever at this stage. I need to keep my "starting package" within 10K and I'm struggling with that a little.

I also much appreciate the nod to the Panasonic RP-82 from you and Neil. Very cool!!!

Gordon

JimC_A

Stunt Coordinator
Getting the nod and finding a unit are two different things. I had to settle on a cp72.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Both Neil and I live in different parts of Canada. My search took about 2 weeks at one local store and it turned out they had 3 in stock at another store down the road (I live in a 'city' of 45,000 people). I paid less than MSRP in Canada. I guess the demand vs population means we got lucky in the amount of units still kicking around up here.:)

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
Not being one to hesitate once my mind is made up, I just scored one on ebay for too much $$, but it's unopened new in box w/warantee intact. (I hope!).
Do a search at ebay for "panasonic DVD-rp82" if interested.
Gordon

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
I have the 82 but I'm definately looking forward to the release of the Samsung 1080i/720p DVD Player in June for msrp $349

If it lves up to all the hype then it would a perfect match for my HS10.:emoji_thumbsup:

I'm even willing to pre order it.:D

Did anyone see it at CES?

Matt Odegard

Stunt Coordinator
I have the CP-72 and I am quite pleased. PQ is awesome.

Also the $30 rebate is still going till March 31st.
$30 rebate

So after all is said and done it can be had for under $200. $190 for myself after rebate.

Bob Cal

Stunt Coordinator
I tried ordering the 82 from Sears Canada. They said they are out and cannot say when or if they are going to have them in again. I phoned a few other stores no luck. I ran across an item that said they are be discontinued - replaced by a different model.
I then emailed Panasonic asking if they were replacing this model and got.

"Thank you for your e-mail to Panasonic Canada Inc.

Our new product line will be released this March/April, if you would like to
contact us then we will have more information on specific models.
Trusting this is helpful.

Sincerely,
Panasonic Canada Inc.
Customer Care Centre
ms"

So I think I might wait and see what develops.

Bob

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
Hi Bob,
I'm pretty sure Panasonic has discontinued making the RP-82's. Not sure why. That's why they are hard to find in stores and are going for 2X MSRP on ebay right now.
Go Figure!

Gordon

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
RP 82s are near impossible to find from any retailer.. if you want one now you'll likely have to pay far more then retail :frowning: CP72s are getting very scarce, but you might have better luck with them... it's what I ended up with and I love it so far :)

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
In the last week I've seen 3 RP82's at various store. Very hard to find. I ended up with a display model with 3yr warranty.

Kevin

BeatCrazy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
I'm not sure why folks are not grabbing up XP50's instead of RP82's.

The "guts" of the players are identical. One or two people have claimed the RP82 is better PQ, but c'mon, what could possibly be the difference to justify this? Why would Panasonic lower the PQ and charge more? Doesn't make sense. The Secrets guys find the XP30 to have identical picture performance to the RP82 anyways.

Plus, I like the fact the "XP" line has a brushless commutator motor assembly, which should guarantee flawless mechanical operation.

Snatch these up, guys. You'll be sorry you didn't.

Sebastien David

Second Unit
/begin rant/

why are people so obsessed with the RP-82 and completely forget the Denon 1600?? It's got similar picture quality, better audio quality (even though it's still far from perfect) and most of all, the build quality is much better than the RP-82. I mean, I consider the 1600 to be pretty flimsy, but the RP-82 has to be one of the crappiest built players I've seen... We've had two break down on us at the store in a week, then we stopped using them as demo units... at about $150 more than an Ebay RP-82, maybe even less, why hesitate to go with the Denon?

and if somebody is really serious about a DVD player that will last long, offer great audio, superb video, amazing build quality, and superior speed, look towards the Denon 3800. wow, now that's what a I call a quality piece of equipment. of course, considering the price...

I think people whose source of information is mostly Internet-based are too focused on specs and performance, and have a tendency to hype up products that do offer great performance for the price, but at the expense of some other less measurable quality, which is still palpable when you see the unit in person, but not on pictures on the Net. I never recommended RP-82s to customers, I was too afraid they would have to come back. I had no problems convincing them to go for DVD-1600s instead, because even though they are more expensive, it's easy to see and feel why it's the case by looking closely at the units.

Quality will take a hit on products in general if people start shopping exclusively online, only relying on forums and such to make their decisions. Go to a store and test the product out, touch it, lift it, and you may get a whole different feeling than what is expressed online by other enthusiasts...

/end rant/

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Go to a store and test the product out, touch it, lift it, and you may get a whole different feeling than what is expressed online by other enthusiasts...
This is a DVD player not an amp. Once its at home sitting on the rack all it has to do is open/close the drawer and display the picture. We're not picking it up, walking around with it, etc. I just can't see the justification of buying one dvd player over the other just because how it feels. I'm sorry Sébastien, but your comment sounds like that off a dealer trying to make a higher priced sale. Woo them with "its heavier so it must be better, ignore the price difference". Similar to a personal experience when I asked a dealer why Panasonic is a better player. His reply, "Because its made in Japan". Sell a piece of equipment on it merits(price/performance/features/etc). Do head to head comparisons if needed. But let the customer decide whether they want one player over the other just because of the way it feels. I have the RP82 and it is an excellent player flimsy or not, which is in the eyes of the owner. Sorry for the rant, nothing personal

Kevin

BeatCrazy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
Kevin,

I'd like to point out that I agree with Sebastien's point about build quality. So what if he's a dealer? He might be in the very best spot to make this type of call. Many dealers keep their DVD players spinning 24/7....and I mean just that. DVD's are kept in repeat all the time. This is a sure-fire way to determine build quality and reliablity from gear. DVD players are notorious for breaking down before most other A/V gear.

I won't mention brands, but I know for a fact that some models and brands are constucted in a way that going 24/7 is no sweat, whereas some are just waiting for a day to crap out on you. You might say "well I don't run mine all that much". True, but I guarantee you, models that breakdown in a showroom will correspond to models that customers bring back for the same reason. Fact.

Also, I'm not trying to pick apart your post, but I also want to address the "Made In Japan" comment that a dealer made to you. I have enough experience in this field to strongly agree with your dealer. A/V gear comes from several countries around the world. Japan, Malaysia, China, etc.... I can state with 99% certainty that I'd rather own a Japanese-made component vs. a model made in other Indonesia countries. Why? Well, let's just say Japan does NOT have the cheapest labor rates in this part of the world. If the it's a Japan-based A/V company (most are) and it's made somewhere else, it is definitely to save a buck. Just look at the Manufactured location on a DVD player. Sony's, Panny's..."Made In Japan". Apex, Mintek..."Made in xxxxxxx".

Just some thoughts....

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Well, let's just say Japan does NOT have the cheapest labor rates in this part of the world.
Labour costs aren't the only part of the overall picture when it comes to price of an A/V unit. Locating a plant in a country who's labour rate is lower still cost $$$. The product would still have to meet the QA of that built anywhere else. Look at Rotel for example. Quality is excellent, build quality top notch, product affordable, yet built in China. Take a look at Outlaw 1050, built in ASIA.

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks